Noob with question about hydrometer accuracy

VLX Envy

Reefing newb
Total noob here. First post. I have a thermometer style hydrometer and a rotary type hydrometer. The thermometer style bobs in the green area right about 1.025. The rotary hydrometer seems way off as its around 1.029. What should I trust? It seems the rotary style which fills with water would be more prone to error.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks in advance

Hydrometers are incredibly inaccurate, it doesn't matter which type you have. A refractometer is a more accurate way of measuring salinity.

I started off with a swing arm hydrometer and set my level to 1.025. When my salt levels were tested with a refractometer they are actually at 1.028! Big difference! I went on ebay that day and ordered my own refractometer. I found my refractometer for under $30 on eBay and I strongly suggest you get one of those.

This is the one that I got and it works like a champ, I strongly recommend that you pick one up. Besides the fact that they are more accurate, they are also much easier and faster to use.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Salinity-Refractometer-Aquarium-Seawater-Agriculture/dp/B005ES6MOQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1375803399&sr=1-1&keywords=refractometer]Amazon.com: Salinity Refractometer, Aquarium & Seawater - Dual Scale (1.0 to 1.070 S.G.) by Agriculture Solutions: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Thank you. I have one ordered. The hydrometer i have been using seems to work as i have some zoas that have been in for two weeks now. Redundancy is always good is always good.

Back