Noobie Info?

ReefWannabe

Reefing newb
Ok so Ive had a little fresh water setup for a few months now and i urged for more. So I finally got a 55 gallon for xmas. Im looking to start saltwater setup. My cousin has the exact thing so any info i get will be passed to him.
We both want reef systems. I love zoos, zoas, mushrooms, basically anything with wild colors. So my question is.

What all should I get to do this right the first time? I have some hoods and lights, but I know they arent good enough for coral. What type of substrate? How much rock? And how long to cycle before adding rock or cycle after???? I plan to get a few chromis first and after maybe 2-3 months success with FOWLR Ill start odering frags off ebay.

My lfs isnt the best for saltwater setups, and theres not really any others around.

Ty sorry for being so long.
Robert

I have also looked into garf.org and i was wondering if their grunge sand would be nice to start with LS and their cave and arch rocks. How much of the grunge stuff would I use? I plan on ordering some for myself and my cousin if you guys say its a good start.

Whoooooo nelly. Welcome to the forum. hope your visits here are fun and informative. I would recommend you take some time to visit the helpful articles and you will find answers to most your questions there. once you spend some time there post any confusion or questions you still have. we will help as best we can. once the system is up and you have water in it, the 1st thing is to let the system cycle, mix for a month or so and then add your clean up crew, and wait some more and then an animal or two. remember if what you want is a reef do not add anything that just takes and does not contribute something to the system. for each animal you contemplate getting read up on it and become with its needs and compatibility before you buy. always consider how big your animal will get. with a 55 you have a bit of room to have some serious fun. do not overload your system too quickly. the dreaded new tank syndrum is just waiting for a system that is loaded up too quickly and thereby exceeding the bio load of the tank bacteria. good luck keep us posted. (couple pounds each should be sufficient for innoculating your system, but, I would run that by the folks you intend to buy from.)

Ok Ill ask the people at Garf about that. I have alot of help but not Here with me. My g/f's dad has a 200 gallon and my older cousin in VA has a 175. Also I cant reach them as easily as I can you guys on the net, so be prepared for alot fo questions from me!!

Also is an emperor 400 an ok starting filter?

The emporer would not be my choice for filters but it can help in the FO system. You can use it but do not let it become a bacteria bed so clean it good every week or two at most. You will need a good protein skimmer and that should be your next purchase. eventually i would recommend a sump system for dealing with your water, protein skimming etc. this is very general but hope it gives you something to consider. water changes will be important in a FO system to keep the nitrates down and water quality up. good luck. post any question you may have we will try and help best we can.

Back