Noobie looking for advice

Brent

Reefing newb
i just bought a 180 gallon tank got it set up and full i filled the wetdry to the full line and made sure i had enough water to fill my 3 water lines leading back to the tank im running a little giant pump model# 4-MDQ-SC witch is rated at 1325 GPH, 1/10 HP the problem im having is that when i turn the pum on im draining my wet/dry to the point im pulling air and my over flows are working so hard that im filling the chamber where my filter sits above the bioballs to the point where it is overflowing the it in to the sump and past the bio ballsis this normal if not what can i do ? thanks all

figure what your overflows are draining, and get a pump to match it. Sounds like the pump is just pumping more than the tank is sending. A smaller pump should fix the issue. Assuming all your water is at the correct levels.

I would have agree with reefwannabe.Your overflow is probley to small for the rate on your pump How many drain holes are there? Something like a CPR Aquatic CS102 rated at 1400 gph would work.I think the demensions would be 10"L x 3"W x 10"H.Here are the specs for your pump

Title Magnetic Drive Aquarium Pump
Item Number 582506
Model Number 4-MDQ-SC
Horsepower 1/10
Flow 850 GPH @ 1' of Head
Cord Length 6'
Shut Off 24.3'
Voltage 115
Hertz 60
Amps 1.3
Watts 150
Weight 10.25
Height 5
Width 5.5
Length 10.6
Head (ft) Flow (GPH) Head (m) Flow (LPH)
1 850 0.3 3217.6
3 810 0.9 3066.2
6 765 1.8 2895.8
12 640 3.7 2422.7

thank you very much for the ideas i was going to as if there was a way or even if it was a good idea to ajust the flow between the wet/dry and the pump ill try that

Sounds Like To Me With The Description You Gave The Tank Over Flow Is Draining The Main Tank But The Wet Dry Is Not Handling The Over Flow Amount. If This Is Correct Please Clarify, Is Your Sump Part Of The Wet Dry/over Flow, What Size Intake Does The Pump Have And What Size Holes Do You Have From The Wet Dry To Sump To Pump? Is There Maybe A Restriction On The Return To The Pump In Plumbing As Compared To The Feed Line To The Main??. Anyway If You Feed The Main Tank With A Couple One Inch Returns, You Will Need To Provide COUPLE Returns At Least One And One Half To The Wet Dry. Once The Water Is Flowing To The Wet Dry The Path Back To The Pump Cannot Be Reduced. Hope Something Here Helps. If I Got It Wrong On What You Said I Apologize. Good Luck.

Last edited:
the wet/dry is being fed by 2 overflows the wetdry to the pump is being fed through a 1" tube between the wetdry and the pump i have a one way flow valve and just added a ball valve (witch is working but have to get a new one its leaking air in to the system now :frustrat: ) from the pump i am returning the water back to the tank with 3 return lines one returning to each end of the tank and one in the middle ...as far as i can tell the ball valve is doing its job and im not draining my wetdry to the point of sucking air any more ...with the exception of the valve its self leaking air should have bought the better one and not tried to go with a plastic one :frustrat:

Back