NOOOO! Dont drill if you cant find a manufacturers name!!!

bobby

I like to do bad things.
:death: Well I got my bulk head in and drill bit and decided to drill my 55 even though I couldnt find a brand name to call and see if it is tempered, well it definetly was tempered. Well the good news is I have a spare 55 in the shed also with no name that I will not try to drill and I dont have to build another stand because like majic out of no were a stand poped up right were the now busted tank was. LOL :frustrat: :frustrat: :frustrat:

Now I have a brand new 1" bulkhead and a 30second used diamond coated drill bit for sale.:grumble:

Last edited:
sorry to hear that bobby, don't feel to bad though revreefer drilled one last weekend and it broke after he got it drilled.

That would suck. Why did his break? Well I was just given tips to test to see if glass is tempered or not so if the other 55 passes the tests I think I'll tempt it again. I really want a drilled tank, just alittle scared to lose another tank. Well if I do I guess I'll just have to turn the 125 into salt.:mrgreen:

After thinking about revs tank, I think it was probably because it was drilled in the center which to me would be the weakest place.
Think about it,when you bend something.Wheres the most stress at?

I drilled mine top center, but it busted almost as soon as I started. Scared the crap out of me, sounded like a gun shooting.

I talked to people on a different site and they said if the galss didnt break in tiny squares its not tempered, mine broke in tiny rectangles and triangles. Is this true? I thought if it broke in tiny pieces it was temperd and bigger pieces was non tempered. Non of the pieces are over a 1/4 in. So was it tempered? Does anyone know?

Can anyone say if this was tempered or not.
a>

glass.jpg
[/IMG]

definatly tempered! if it werent tempered it would only have a few long cracks, tempered tanks look like a aggravating jigsaw puzzle when they go, and they shatter right away, as soon as the bit makes a score in the glass. are you drilling the bottom panel or the back side? bottoms are almost always tempered. backs usually arnt. good luck man

It was the back top center panel. I thought it was tempered by the break of the glass but someone said temperd breaks in tiny squares. It did score the glass then I got in a grove and after about 20 seconds in the groove BOOM goes the glass. Talk about loud sounded like a gun going off. Glass cages sells new braces (mine broke when the glass busted) So I might buy a new brace and a piece of drilled glass from a dealer and attemp a repair. Dont know yet. Well any I thought it was tempered by the break but after hearing that wasnt sure.

Tempered glass will leave the small pieces that you got. They dont break in perfect little squares but into squares, triangles, trapeziods and just about any other shape you heard about in geometry and a few you didnt. The thing about tempered glass is that it leaves little pieces that are no were near as sharp as non tempered glass. Ever break a bottle? that is non tempered and leaves long knife edge breaks. The side glass in your car is tempered so if you get into a wreck your head does not get cut off if you break the window with it just a few little cuts instead. From what I understand tempered glass can be cut after it has been tempered you may want to look up a custom glass shop in your area and see if they can cut the hole or have a way to drill your tank for you.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the tank and good luck on the repair and hope this helps ya.

Massey

Back