NOT GOOD WITH FISH

DCONKLIN

Reefing newb
DO YOU THINK THAT SOME PEOPLE JUST ARE NOT CUT OUT TO HAVE FISH. I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL TIMES TO KEEP FISH BUT FAR TOO MANY TIMES THEY DO NOT SURVIVE.

I AM DOWN TO MY TOMATO CLOWN NOW. THE HIPPO TANG PASSED TODAY APRIL 8th. SOMETHING WAS CHEWING ON BOTH OF HER PECTORAL FINS. I NOTICED THAT SHE ALLOWED THE SHRIMPS TO CLEAN HER WHAT SEEMED TO BE AN AWFUL LOT. SHE SPENT LOTS OF TIME PARKED FOR CLEANING. WHEN LIGHTS WERE ON SHE WAS SPENDING MORE AND MORE TIME IN THE AREA WHERE SHE SLEPT.

ARE YOU EITHER GOOD WITH FISH OR NOT?

Its not like math or science. Okay, maybe like science, but still...what all was/is in your tank? What are your parameters? How old is it, how long did you wait between additions, did you quarantine and did you make sure your purchases were all healthy? There's a lot of reasons fish die, and it sounds like stress may have played a part with an aggressor, probably your clown.

THE CLOWN & TANG WERE TANK MATES THAT I GOT FROM A FRIEND BACK IN NOVEMBER 2013. I TESTED THE WATER pH WAS 8 WITH AMMONIA NITRATES & NITRITES AT 0.

I THOUGHT IT MAY HAVE BEEN THE CLOWN BUT NEVER ACTUALLY SAW ANY AGGRESSION. OTHER THAN THE CONSTANT CLEANING OF THE SHRIMP ALL SEEMED OK UNTIL 2 HOURS BEFORE SHE ACTUALLY DIED. SHE WAS EATING VERY WELL. THE CLOWN IS NOT SHOWING ANY SIGNS OF DISTRESS.

I THINK IF THE CLOWN DIES I WILL JUST STICK WITH HAVING CORALS & INVERTS.

hippo tangs need huge tanks and it makes me wonder if it had a parasite being it was always wanting cleaned...might have just gotten stressed from moving

is this the only fish you have had die? if so you are giving up way to fast

06 30 13 OLD AQUASCAPE.jpg

I HAVE AN 87g

I HAVE HAD THEM BOTH SINCE NOVEMBER WITH NO SIGNS OF TROUBLE. I RECENTLY GOT 3 BANGAII CARDINALS THAT DID NOT LIVE BUT MAYBE 10 DAYS. THEY WERE NOT PICKING ON THE OTHER FISH AND THEY WERE NOT BEING PICKED ON THAT I SAW. I LOOKED FOR HARD BREATHING & SAW NO LABORED BREATHING. I COULD NOT GET THE CARDINALS TO EAT. I SOAKED THEIR FOOD IN GARLIC AND THAT WAS NO HELP. THE CLOWN & TANG ATE FINE & THE TANG HAD EATEN JUST THE NIGHT BEFORE.

THERE WERE NO VISIBLE SIGNS ON HER THAT I COULD SEE OF A PARASITE. SHE WAS NOT SCRATCHING AGAINST THE ROCK.

I will bet it is a parasite A couple of months ago I lost many fish over a period of 3 months. Almost all were completely healthy at night and dead the next morning. I was extremely frustrated then my fourth clown finally showed symptoms. Long story short it was brooklynella. So. Lost approximately 10 fish before finally seeing a sign. If I was you I would go fishless for 60 days to end any cycle just in case Then try again nice tank btw. Your Duncan looks good on other post as well

Extremely fast killer. So fast not much time to react. All died within hrs with no signs. Only the clown showed the sliming heavy breathing etc.

Only known cure is a formulan dip and even that can proove fatal. I had a case of Brooklynella wipe out my tank once.

if their fins looked tattered it could be flukes. That would also explain the frequent visits to the cleaner shrimp. Prazipro is a reef safe treatment for flukes. You are in the Houston area too! We are neighbors. I am in Katy.

SHE DIED ON TUESDAY
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP. I AM BETWEEN PASADENA & BAYTOWN IN DEER PARK A FEW BLOCKS FROM SHELL REFINERY.

If fish are healthy then anyone should be able to keep fish .as long as tank parameters are good and the fish species aint too big for the tank and the fish are compatible with each other.Your fish obviously had as some have already said parasites or some disease already

Agree. If that was last fish, I would simply wait 60 days before trying to add anymore fish. If you add another right away you keep on losing fish. If parasite need to break cycle.

Back