Not new, but need some help

Kully3xf

Reefer Madness
my tank is making a tapping noise... not a clicking; but a dull tapping. It's fairly regular, but intermittent. every half hour or so I'll notice it for about 5 minutes every few seconds. It's not a pistol shrimp as i'm 100% sure of exactly what is in my tank. Maybe someone can help me identify what could be making it?

I've got a sump, seems to be coming from down there; but there's nothing that could move down there. At first i thought it was a rock moving from the vortech, but sound is coming from below the tank. In the sump i have a 2" sand bed, 2 heaters, a magtech, protein skimmer, and lighting... everything is pretty secure.

If anyone has any ideas, it's super annoying and i would really appreciate some problem solvers!!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Do you have any live rock down in your sump?

Plus if you do have live rock, you can't be 100% sure of everything in your tank. There could have been either a mantis or a pistol shrimp hitchhike in on a piece.

Do you have any snails in your sump? I've noticed when snails get on my pumps near the glass the force of the pump causes the shell to tap on the glass making a very annoying quick tapping noise. I've also seen several of my snails quickly rotate their shells which makes a tapping/clicking like noise.

Hmm, thanks for all your responses guys;

I know it's not a mantis or pistol I only had 5 lbs of live rock to seed and i ran it in coral RX before putting it in the tank. My rock is now totally covered, but I know nothing other than what I put in the tank is in there.

For snails in my sump, I only have one nassaruis, and he lives in the DSB in the fuge;

i'm thinking it's the flow, but the I only have a few moving parts down there, and they are all on the glass with suction cups

I'll film a video of the noise later today and post it :)

It might very well be a piece of equipment but I would argue that no one knows 100% what is in their tanks.

I have had corals, shrimp, snails, and cucumber randomly show up in my tank years after buying new rocks. lol

Back