Not Quite A Fish Only Aquarium!

HAWKS12thMAN

NWKRC THUG!
A most controversal subjest. Im thinking about raising an octopus. Not sure on what species yet. Im cycling my 24 nano right now. I set it up for an octo in case I decided to go threw with it. I bought bigger sand (less messy) and bigger pieces of LR for a reason (so I can glue the rocks togather so it doesnt pull them down on it self). There are many tropical species that can live in smaller tanks as babys. If it survives the first 3 month I could buy a bigger tank. I think a nano would be perfect because I can velcro the top down (no chance of escape). Ive done lots of researce and was just wondering if anybody has an opinion. I am aware of how much work they are. Heres a good website if anyones interested TONMO.com: The Octopus News Magazine Online Heres a pic of the tank. Lots of hiding places for it. Whats nice about octos the simplier the setup the better.
080.jpg

ive read they are a bit dificult to keep on small aquariums..ive seen them very small on the ocean..inky too, heheheh, it would be interesting and awsome to kkep them in the nanos...keep us updated and good luck..also check every route of escape..they are magicians!!

Sounds great hawks! But you should know about the rule. The rule is if anyone owns a octo they must post many pics or face the cosequences. LOL If you get I do want to see pics. Good luck.

They sell octopi at Saltwater Fish, Corals, Invertebrates, Clams & Live Rock. Who would've thought???

Restricted Species. This species is very difficult to keep and should only be attempted by expert aquarists, or is a 'delicate shipper.' Our Stay Alive guarantee is not available on this item.

Octopus - Octopus bimaculatus

Color: The Octopus has a brown color.
Diet: Carnivore.
Behavior: The Octopus bimaculatus is generally aggressive toward other tankmates.
Reef compatibility: Can be kept with corals providing there are no fish or motile invertebrates (shrimp, crabs, snails, starfish) in the tank.
Care: Many consider the Octopus bimaculatus a high-maintenance specimen. Not venomous.
General notes: NOTE: As in the wild, this animal may come to you with some of its tentacles missing (though scientist say they will grow back). Nocturnal feeder. Curious, and will move rocks around. Will squirt ink, if scared. Should be kept in a system as the only specimen. An escape artist by nature, be sure to have a secure fitting top on the tank with no openings. These animals are seasonal and it is best to check with us prior to placing an order to check for availability of this item.
Water parameters: Keep water quality high (SG 1.023 - 1.025, pH 8.1 - 8.4, Temp. 72 - 78° F).
Origin: The Octopus is commonly collected from East Pacific.

Quantities limited, get them while they last!

They sell many different species of octo at one of the LFS here (special order only, and its still cheapier than the net). The only thing i'm worried about is how im going to set up a skimmer in my nano. BTW I buy carbon in bulk..... cheap too! If I do an octo my tank it has to cycle for 3-4 months before I can even think about throw it in.

an octo and some corals would be an awesome nano setup. great now you got my head spinning! how cool would that be. is that an overflow? if so im assuming it goes to a sump. do you have room to hang a skimmer on the sump or an in-sump skimmer? i cant think of another easy way to keep the tank sealed and have a HOB skimmer.

heres a link that i thought you might like. someone posted it at one point and i've found myself going back to it just to look at the amazing pics. Reef Central Online Community - My BEST hitchhiker is an OCTOPUS!
oh by the way you might not wanna read to far into the thread this guys amazing tank crashed and lost everything.

Last edited:
Back