not reef, but...

sicklids

salt water dummy
alright, i dont have any LR yet, some coming in thursday.

i went to the city this weekend and bought a dog faced puffer, a dwarf fuzzy lionfish, and a picasso trigger.

is it normal for the dwarf lion to just hang out at the bottom of the tank?

is the trigger going to do alright with these two guys?

i also have 2 GSPs, they are fin nippers, they went straight for the lion and he stung them im assuming cause they ran like scolded dogs and now wont bother him, should i be expecting them dead soon?

oh yeah, they are in a 55 gallon tank

For about 2 weeks, mylion hung out in the back or the bottom. they dont swim very much at all. After a few weks, he came out and hung out up front. I then rearranged my rocks and he hides again. I expect him to come back out font fairly soon. Try to get him iOn frozen krill. It took me about 3 weeks of starving him for 3 days at a time for him to start eating it, but it is for sure worth it. Dont really worry about getting stung. At least I dont, because I do indeed handfeed all of my fish. Cow fish, shark, Lion all of them.

i have been feeding them freeze dried krill and then some live crawfish, i havent seen the lion eat as of yet, then again they are nocturnal so maybe he has.

You would know if he was eating. You will have to feed him when you se him out front. you will have to put it right in front of him. Try Ghost shrimp or guppies. I wouldnt go with freeze dried because they are full of air. Id go frozen.

yeah, i got a gazillion guppies in there that the eel was supposed to eat, but they have flourished quite well, i was hoping the lion and the trigger would weed them out, but as of now i still have guppies, of course both of these fish are about the size of a half dollar still.

one other thing, while i was in the city i bought this cool poly resin rock with all kinds of holes and caves in it, can i add my live rock to this when i get it? can the stuff on the live rock live on this poly resin?

Dont stress him eating. he will eat soon enough. Just dont keep feeding them guppies because they have a hard time digesting their Liver. Once you see him eating, take them out and get him onto frozen food like squid or mysys or krill

good deal, so what a bout the plastic rock? thanks for the info, i posted on monsterfishkeepers and still have got no replies

Your aware that both the puffer and trigger are going to out grow your 55 right?
As for feeding them,Get them on frozen as quick as you can.It'll be better for them.
The plastic rock will eventually get some coralline.But I'll probably pick up more of the bad algaes than anything.But add it is up to you.

thanks for the input, what size of tank should i be lookin into buying? i just got told that 55 gallons isnt enough on another forum i frequent, stupid LFS, said it would be fine. i guess for now seeing as how these fish are still small.

I personally wouldnt trust a puffer and a trigger in anything less than 180.
Remember that the LFS is out to make money.And right now is a tough time in the LFS bussiness.A lot of stores are doing their best to make a sale,they really dont care if the fish lives as long as they got your money.

thats not good seeing as how the biggest tank i can get here is like 150 gallons... looks like im gonna have to grow and re home them. that sux!

yeah, i like this forum alot, fast responces and good people, no flaming. well, thanks you guys i will keep you posted.

so the dwarf lion is fine in the 55? what would be some good tank mates for him? i got six daughters so i need something that would have good personality like the trigger and dog face puffer.

The lion is fine in the 55.Any of the smaller angels will do fine.The flame angel or coral beauty both are great fish for a 55.So are clowns,but everybody has a pair of them.
You might even look into some of the smaller wrasses.

Back