Not sure...lil help...

Not sure what this is but thought id ask before it turns out to be real bad. Its starting to spread on this one rock. Talking bout the red stuff. I'm not ready to put my hand in the tank quite yet because i just showered a few hrs ago. Last time i checked tho it felt slimey but i didnt really check all that great.

88d370a0.jpg

3ad7bf63.jpg

That looks like the start of red turf.
Its not really a BAD algae,but it can be a pain in the ass.
It thrives in tanks with prestine water conditions,which makes it tough to fight.Its nearly impossible to scrub off the rock.Some urchins will eat on it,but even they wont eridacte it.

That looks like the start of red turf.
Its not really a BAD algae,but it can be a pain in the ass.
It thrives in tanks with prestine water conditions,which makes it tough to fight.Its nearly impossible to scrub off the rock.Some urchins will eat on it,but even they wont eridacte it.

Thats funny you say that because everytime ive checked my water conditions or ive brought into the LFS it has always been perfect. I'll look into some urchins, i was looking at some earlier but i dunno if they would be the kind to eat it. Any advice on what kind to buy? I appriciate the response Yote. :bowdown:

If it's hard I'd say it's probably red coralline, which is good. If it's fuzzy or slimy then it might be the red turf algae.
I'm inclined to say it's coralline personally but let us know how it feels and maybe a clearer picture.

Well when i fed my tank earlier i kinda rubbed it and a good portion of it came off, almost 95% of it kinda just floated away. You all know im pretty new at this and kinda scared it might by cyano...but i really don't know what to look for. I actually took a flashlight just now to look at it and the rock looks clean for the most part. I hope this isnt gunna be a BIG problem. UGH.

Think i dont have enuff water circulation? Or to much LR blocking the flow? Whats the best way to nip it in the bud before it gets outa control?

Ya if it just rubbed off real easy it could definately be cyano. Increased flow seems to be the big thing for nipping it in the bud as well as just syphoning it out. Since it doesn't rely on the usual things that algae relies on for it's nutrients, like nitrate that's why you'll tend to see it in systems with low nitrate since it has free reign by not having to compete with other algae.

Well im going to keep a close eye on it, i supposedly have more than enuff flow in my tank, im guessin with allthe LR i have its just blocking the flow. Even weirder is that spot is a high flow area. I could be over feeding a lil too so im going to cut back on it. I think i may try to bring in some of my LR for some trade in. I really dont want another powerhead in my tank nor do i really think i need it. Another thing is i dont have a skimmer so poop sits in spots for a week or so before i can wave it around and it gets filtered out. Soon aa i get this job im going to buy a skimmer and get rid of this bio wheel bs. I really do appriciate the feed back. Ill take more pix tomorrow if i see any.

I think i have it....its now on my substrate. I'll take a pic of it in the morning and try to post at work.

I've heard blackouts work for this type of algea? I'll need to pick up some water on monday for another small water change...

It looks like it kinda goes away during nighttime and then comes back during the day. Think a 24-36 hr blackout would do the job?

0288647a.jpg

c26196cc.jpg

Think ill just leave the lights off tomorrow and do what u said DC....see what happens..... Never did a blackout. Wondering how my corals/fish are going to react.

Its just in the one area in the picture. and really only showed up a could days after i scraped the front of my glass with a razor.....

Being the resident expert on red turf I would say you have Cyano and not red turf algae. Cyano grows only because their are too much nitrates and phosphates. Are you over feeding?

That does look like run of the mill cyano (red slime algae). It usually results from not enough flow and overfeeding. Luckily it is pretty easy to remove by hand with a turkey baster, and doing a blackout should help as well.

Being the resident expert on red turf I would say you have Cyano and not red turf algae. Cyano grows only because their are too much nitrates and phosphates. Are you over feeding?

I know its cyano. I might be over feeding a lil bit i guess? Its on a 36 hr black out and im about to try and syphon out or blow out as much as i can. I'm sure my fish and corals arent going to like this but that stuff looks nasty and ive seen tanks that are completely covered in it. I dont want that to be me. Hopefully this works!:frustrat:

And that area of the tank has a high flow. One of my powerheads is blowing right in that direction...

My wife I recently were both feeding the tank and yes it got overfed. Sure enough, a few days later I see the begining of cyano on the sand.

Skip feeding a day or two each week and it will actually help your tank.

My wife I recently were both feeding the tank and yes it got overfed. Sure enough, a few days later I see the begining of cyano on the sand.

Skip feeding a day or two each week and it will actually help your tank.

I have a journal that i was keeping for the feeding of the tank but things got hectic around here and just couldnt find time to keep track of everything. I'm going to get back on track here. It seems for now the blackout helped alot.

What it didnt help is my jawfish. My blue lights came on as normal.....hr later i flicked on the daylights and my jawfish got spooked of corse and proceeded to try and jump for 30 minutes, He got tired and now is sitting on a LR on the bottom of my tank. He doesnt look good. I hope he doesnt stress himself out and die on me. Hopefully he will either make a new burrow or go back to his old one!

Back