Nothing going right

613ReefGuy

Reefing newb
This hobby is killing me!!

About 2 weeks ago I had added a lawnmower blenny to the tank. He was small and seemed to be enjoying himself. His name was Waldo since he was so hard to find because he blended into the sand and rocks so easily.

He survived the leak incident that I had, and all fish were doing well. Unfortunately at some point one of the power heads was moved too close to the glass, and I found him trapped between the glass and powerhead dead. I turn my wavemaker to 3 minutes on and 3 minutes off between the two powerheads, so I assume 3 minutes of pressure was too much.

Now that he has passed away, we added a few frags to compensate and give us something to look at and enjoy. A couple of Rics, and a chalice, as well as a small hammerhead (being kept away from other corals). We did a bit of aquascaping since we didnt like the rocks, so the fish went into a fair size pail while we worked. Ever since we put things back in the Royal Gramma started getting white. Not spots, but just a white body.

The girlfriend just got back from buying a 10 gallon starter kit, and I am going to set him up in a QT. I dont think he is even going to make it for as long as it takes for the water to heat up.......so here goes some more money down the drain.

What is up with the Royal Gramma? I know by looking at him he is likely dying tonight. What is going on?? This hobby is killing me, as I cant seem to do anything right. Last checked water levels were all good.

This hobby is killing the bank account, and starting to get very frustrating. If I wanted to spend so much money and only be stressed and miserable.....I would ask my heartless ex to marry me.

Please help guys

Do you think you are trying to do too much too fast? The best advice anyone can give is to take things slow. Have a fully cycled tank and take things slow.

hmm, sorry I assumed cuz it said 2 weeks under your experience it was only 2 weeks old. Do you think you could've kicked up some ammonia from moving rocks around?

I think goose may be on the right track -- stirring up stuff when you move rocks and sand can stress the tank inhabitants. Is the gramma swimming and eating alright? Is it just the color that is off?

I have yet to see the Gramma come out and eat anything. For the longest time I thought he was dead somewhere in the tank, but then appeared again. It is the color that is off, and right now.......I am pretty sure he is dead.

Well, I think your lawnmower blenny was dead before he got near the fan. are your powerheads prointed up for oxygen? I also think the aquascape stressed him and killed him. When you say levels are fine, we need them all posted. Have you owned the tank personally for 8 months? Because even then the move can cause some big problems

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - hard to get an accurate reading. Not 0, but not higher than 5
Ph- 8

Power heads are nano korilias, they are difficult to point up. between the two pumps, and power heads (1 on at a time) there is a fair amount of flow. I just moved them so they have a harder ripple across the top of the water.
Should I leave both powerheads running at the same time during the day, and then change the time in the evening to 45sec. each, and before bed switch to 2-3 mins each?

I will try to take a video and find a way to upload it if I can somehow, just to give a better visual tomorrow. I have always been kind of stumped as to where I should direct the flow. The power heads use to be at the back pointed towards the front of the tank approx. half way down the back wall on each side. They are now on opposite sides way up at the top. I did change the return lines to aim more downward towards the absolute center of the tank.

Do you guys think it was just stress for the Gramma? The Coral beauty and clown eat fine and havent been acting odd at all. The corals are shrinking up at night...but there is only 1 led that is working properly. New nite-vu led's should be arriving any day.

Any suggestions on what to do with the 10 gallon tank now? I have don't have much use for it right now, and I assume LFS wont take it back. I can get better prices for a QT tank shopping around. Frag tank (should I ever actually have corals I can keep), Mantis tank?

It probably as stress, and moving him to a 10 g would've been more stressful. I'd keep the 10g anyway, just in case you need it. But frag tank or mantis tank sounds like a plan :D

Sorry for your loss (financial and fish loss). It really is an expensive hobby in the start and obviously when you lose a fish. Overall though, once your tank is established, there's not much cost for upkeep. I have a 125g, and aside from buying more fish, food, and salt, I don't have much expenditures. My dogs cost more to "maintain" LOL Friggin' $50-60/month on dog food and treats :D

Step 1. Take a deep breath I have been through tank disasters as well. 2. Try to analyze what happened but don’t over think it strange things happen in this hobby. 3. I have to agree with others with your parameters getting knocked out of wack. One of the hardest things to do is leave rock scape alone if I had a nickel for every time I wanted to move a rock or coral just an inch just to watch the next domino fall followed by your parameters going down hill I always keep 5 gallons of pre mixed around when the cloud of death starts from the land slide I change 5 it can’t hurt and $5.00 of water verses a $40.00 fish. I have the wave maker that came with my tank (I shut it off) most of my early problems were fixed with flow if the rocks are right the finny little ones will find a place to chill. Don’t get discouraged this is just a minor set back remember if this was such a easy hobby everybody would do it. Your tank will bounce back just use a little TLC and always remember small steps…..Just my opinion. Good luck and hang in there.

This hobby is killing me!!

About 2 weeks ago I had added a lawnmower blenny to the tank. He was small and seemed to be enjoying himself. His name was Waldo since he was so hard to find because he blended into the sand and rocks so easily.

This hobby is killing the bank account, and starting to get very frustrating. If I wanted to spend so much money and only be stressed and miserable.....I would ask my heartless ex to marry me.

Please help guys

You must read this: https://www.livingreefs.com/marine-aquarium-disasters-and-prevent-them-t20514.html

So I think we are going to turn the 10 gallon into a frag tank. One of our LFS has some nice pieces of rock that have the plug holes, so I am leaning towards adding some of those instead of the egg crates shelves.

Do I need to set it up different than my other tank, or can I get away doing less...or do I have to do more? Do I need to add sand? I would like to possibly add a damsel in there at some point. Will a heater, lights and powerhead be okay with regular weekly water changes, or should I get a hob refugium with a protein skimmer?

Any thoughts?

Im sorry about your loss and frustration! But pick your chin up, things will get better!

All you need for your frag tank is good lights, good flow, a heater and regular water changes! Also, a small fish might be nice, never underestimate the power of poop! But a small clown goby would be much better suited the size of the tank and will generate less waste which means less work for you.

Also, no need for sand!

Back