nova extreme loud fan

bruin01

Reefing newb
Hiya,
I just picked up a 36 inch nova extreme from a friend for dirt cheap,it has 4 bulbs at 39 watts each nice light but the fan is loud!!!!!! Is there anything I can do Im thinking of running it with out the fan would that be real bad?

It could overheat the bulbs which will heat your tank and shorten the life. You could unhook it and put a clip on fan by it instead.

I bet you could take it apart and replace the fan, or simply oil the bearing or whatever inside the fan... but definitely use it.... like BigH said a build up of heat will shorten the lifespan of the lamps and the fixture itself. Think of that fancy fixture around the bulbs as a nice big blanket :P

The fan shouldn't be noticeably loud. You should ask your friend if it was making that sound when he bought it. If not, wonder no more why it was dirt cheap!! ;)

I had luck at the local computer parts place with fans for my nano cube. JBJ wanted 25 plus shipping each, Microcenter had 2 fans same size for 12.99. I cut the tach wire, and spliced the black and red into the old connector, works great, and saved some money...surprising in this hobby.

Back