Novice needing advice!!

montgrl99

Reefing newb
I have a 40 gallon high brackish/saltwater (yes I know it looks like a freshwater set up right now, but it is saltwater). It has been running since mid January, when I upgraded from a 20 gallon (puffer outgrew smaller tank). I have one live rock in quarantine and know I need to get more live rocks (having to do slowly, do to little money to work with.)
What I am wanting help with is knowledge what about filtration, lighting, and substrate to get. Do I need a sump or canister? I'm currently looking at getting a Penn Plax Cascade Canister Filter 1000, would that be alright? I've only used hob filters, currently running two aqua clear 50's, so anything else is new to me.
I was told by someone that tap water is not good to use, even if you mix in instant ocean salt and prime to balance the chlorine, is that true? If so, I'm not sure if I can afford to do a reef, maybe a live rock with fish?

It will take me a while to get everything, but I want to know what to look for/purchase, so I can have a successful tank.

I currently have 1 green spotted puffer and 5 mollies in my 40 gallon tank, 3 more mollies are growing out in my husband's 29 gallon freshwater community tank. I already have the salinity around 1.023.
Thank you, I appreciate any advice I can get.
IMG_20210302_161022.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back