Now I've done it...Another Lighting Question

jupiler

Reefing newb
This past weekend I purchased a Rose BTA at the recommendation of my LFS to co-exist with my new Clown. I explained to him that I have a Coralife Compact Flourecent with 2 X 65 and he said "Oh yah, that will be plenty"...obvisouly he doesn't read this website because I'm reading that I should have between 6-8 watts per gallon? I have a 40 gallon tank, I'm only providing around 3??

If I have to bring it back I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world although I do like the thing a lot. Can anyone recommend some "cool" coral that I could use under this type of lighting?

If I were to purchase a 250W Metal Halide, could I keep this guy alive?

Aye yaye yaye...why didn't I read up on this more before I bought it :frustrat:

If your tank is brand new, then you should definitely take it back. Anemones rarely survive in tanks that haven't been established already for several months. I recommend waiting at least 10 months before buying an anemone, as they need pristine water conditions, and yes, more light than 3 wpg.

If you buy a MH light, then you would definitely meet its lighting needs, but I still think your tank would be too young to support it.

As for what you can keep under 3 wpg, zoanthids, mushrooms and softies would all do fine.

I have had just dumb luck with nems. I have two, a BTA and LTA under about 3 watts/gallon and both are looking great. I cannot account for it, they just work. They keep growing and growing and I am just stunned. Is it normal? Nope. There is one thing certain, they need an established tank. Wait 6-8 months before trying one.

As for a cool replacement coral, Xenia is great and hardy, spaghetti leathers, toadstool leathers or you might even be able to get away with a torch coral, if placed at the top of your rocks (it is an LPS and has a higher lighting requirement than soft corals). Good Luck!

-Doc

Both Biff and Doc are right.
3 watts per just isnt enough light.And if your tanks new,then your still going to have some parameter swings that the anemone wont be able to cope with.

Back