Now what?

Hi everyone! First of all, I love this site and all of the helpful members...
I started a 14 gallon (biocube) saltwater tank 3 and a half weeks ago. Live rock, live sand. After testing my water a few days ago everything looked great finally so I got a firefish goby. My LFS sold me some fish flake to feed him, though I see that is frowned upon, what should I get to feed him? Also, what are some nice things to add? Stars? Snails? Crabs? Mushrooms? If anyone has any great experience with a specific species I would love to be pointed in the right direction. I know that I have to wait another 3 weeks before I add another fish, probably a clown goby, then I will be maxed out fish-wise so I'm hoping for some advice on what else I can put in there that will be "fun". Thanks for any help....

I would get some snails for sure. I really like astrea's and ceriths. I also am a fan of hermits but I know others here don't care for them to much. They will help in keeping your tank clean.

Welcome to the site!!

Welcome to the site!

You should definitely ditch the flake food. Mysis is a very good choice.
Mushrooms and zoas are great beginner corals.

Hello and Welcome!

I would look into a rotation of different frozen foods. Variety is key to making sure that they get the proper nutrition.

Also, depending on your lights, you can add quite a variety of different corals. For a newer tank i would check out mushrooms, zoas, and leathers!

Hello, and welcome aboard. As the others have stated, you would do great with any combo of lower light coral. I would steer away from any sort of star or critter who relys mostly on algae for their diet as your system is so new.

I would get some snails for sure. I really like astrea's and ceriths. I also am a fan of hermits but I know others here don't care for them to much. They will help in keeping your tank clean.

Welcome to the site!!

Thanks to all for the warm welcomes :)
I have read and read and read and there are such varying opinions on so much in this hobby. One second I feel like small hermits would be great to have then I read something else and they seem like a nightmare. You have had success with keeping snails and hermits at the same time? Do I just make sure there are some extra shells so there aren't any massacres? Can I go tonight and get a certh and a hermit and add them? Can I add a mushroom tonight too? Or is this too much at once...

Snail, hermits, corals, basically any invert, doesnt add to the bioload like fish do, so you can add them when ever you like and how many as you like, as long as your water parameters are good enough to support them. And having some extra shells in there for the hermits is a good way to keep them from going after your snails, but some are just killers :( But i really think, that snails or hermits or both is a personal choice, no right or wrong answer out there.

And i think as long as your nitrates are close to zero, you sure can add some of those critters tonight!

Back