Now What?

RLliddell

Reefing newb
I am currently in the process of converting a fish tank to a reef tank. I've put down the deep sand bed, placed about 110 lbs. of live rock (which contained a nice assortment of snails, crabs, urchins and starfish). I have metal halide lighting and a chiller which keeps water temperature between 77.5 to 79 degrees farenheit. I have two small damsels left over from the fish tank. Tank is about 125 gallons.

My question is, what should I be doing now? I feed the damsels minimally. Should I be sdding any nutrients/food for my live rock and its critters? I am going to try to be very patient before adding any more livestock. Thanks.

Rudy

Patients is all u need .Just hang on for the ride .Purchase u a saltwater test kit test weekly.U are looking for 0 ammo, and 0 nitrite . No additives are needed now.

Be patient. do not add any more live things at this time. let the system settle in for at least a month or two test water parameters and keep a log. if you feed the fish do so sparingly. give your system a chance to catch up with the bioload and balance out. the excess nutrients and fish poop will feed the rock and things. target feed any crabs etc. but do so lightly for now. good luck and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the responses and words of encouragement. The only bioload I've added where several snails. The rest of the creatures hitched a ride on the live rock! I have been testing the water regularly and my values have been within expected parameters. I will want to add additional live rock, should I wait for a couple of weeks or do it now and then wait for everything to stabilize.

Rudy

If your budget allows you to, add all your live rock now and then test and wait for your system to cycle and settle in. dont be fooled by the 1st cycle, sometimes you will go through several cycles before your system settles in over a month or so.

I added more live rock and now I am satisfied with the look I have attained. One thing that is bothering me now is that I am starting to have green algae starting to show up just below the sand line and on some of the rock. Any suggestions so that the aquarium doesn't succumb to this unsightly algae. My phosphate level seems to be in an acceptable range. I am changing about 12 of 125 gallons of water every 7-10 days. Thanks.

Rudy

Honestly i think an algea outbreak of some extent is just part of the cycle....

You have all those nutrients and nothing using them.

Keep the feeding low.
Keep the lighting minimal since you don't have any corals yet.

Can you post a picture of the algea? If it is to much then you might want to take measures to counteract it.

Brandon

Do check out the articles section. read everything on algae, water chemistry, maintenance, etc and see if your questions are answered. if not post your water parameters and we will try and help. any phosphate reading is too high. also read the articles on testing you may be surprised what your test kit is really telling you. ok for now read the articles and if you need add help not found in the articles post water parameters, maintinance schedule and any additions chemical and food how much and how often, and lighting and photo period. good luck.

Brandon,

Thanks for the reply. After reading your comments, I may be leaving the metal
halides on a bit longer than I should be. Right now I illuminate with an actinic
only light for about two hours in the morning, the MH's turn on about 11 am and
stay on until 6 pm, then the actinics come on until about 8 pm. I have
moonlights on for two hours before and after the actinics. I have also downloaded two pictures of the tank into my photo gallery. Any advice in regards to lighting would be
apprecaited.

Rudy

Back