nox-ich?

jakenerica3910

Reefing newb
Yesterday we added a small Blue Hippo Tang to our aquarium family and after adding him the yellow tang kept trying to attack it which in turn i think stressed out the Clowns. this morning the smaller clown had little white dots all over him, about 5 or 6. We are thinking ich. we had bought nox-ich from our LFS for times like these but we are weary to use it. last time we used a different product called no-ich and it didn't work at all the fish just got worse and died. has anyone used this nox-ich product and what were the results? would you recommend it? I also read on another sight that you can cure ich by just raising the temp slowly in your aquarium and doing more frequent gravel vaccs. is this really true? how high of a temp would it need to be? would this be a better route to go then using meds? please give me your :twocents: :)

I do hope your profile is wrong in saying you only have a 46 gallon tank? The blue hippo needs at least 125g, and the yellow tang needs at least 75g (maybe even 100g, I think). It raises your chances of ich and of the tangs getting agressive due to stress and lack of swimming space. No doubt that even if you did not have ich before, your blue hippo introduced it, and because of all the stress of the crowded tank, your fish are all suffering.

First suggestion, send the tangs back to the lfs. From there, if you will not take out all your fish from the tank, just keep making sure the rest of the fish are eating well and hopefully they will fight it off on their own. But you will always have ich in the tank. Most of us probably have ich in the tank, but we try our best to keep the water pristine and our fish healthy, so if they show signs, they can fight it off.

Right now, the only known reliable cure for ich is copper or hypo, both need to be done in QT, since inverts cannot handle those treatments. You tank will have to remain fallow (fishless) for a few months.

Good luck!

P.S. I specifically upgraded to a 125g from a 45g because I really wanted a tang, but realized my tank wasn't suitable.

Right now the tangs are really small and the guy at the lfs said that our tank is fine for now but we will have to upgrade in the next 6 months which we plan to do. thanks for the advice :)

The guy at the LFS was trying to make money.

+1 wonton.
The yellow and the hippo need to go back to the store. If they have ich already, they will die in your tank.
Tank recommendations for tangs are not based upon how big the fish is, but how much swimming room it requires. These are very active fish. What you are doing is basically locking them in a closet.

My Kole Tang swims the entire 6' length of my tank, day in and day out. I can't imagine him being in anything smaller. LFS advice should be taken with caution. I love my lfs guys, and they're very knowledgeable, but I've known them to occasionally get me to buy a more expensive item, when a cheaper one would have sufficed. At the end of the day, they want your money. I do not buy fish I know nothing about. I'll at least have basic knowledge of their temperament and requirements before even buying them with just the hopes that they'll be fine in my system. Even my impulse buys were educated choices.

Hello!

There are only two treatments for ich that work. Hyposalinity and copper. Both must be done outside the main tank, in a quarantine tank, to all the fish. Many fish can beat off ich by themselves if they are healthy, eating well and stress free. Unfortunately, the tangs in a tank that size will never be stress free, so if you don't treat, you may see outbreak after outbreak.

Please read little_fish's link, she does a good job covering it all.

i understand. we ended up trying the nox-ich yesterday lowering the dose and the spots were gone after about an hour or so. today no spots and the blue hippo is being alot more social with the clowns and the yellow tang isn't try to attack it. Im not saying the problem is resolved i understand we need a bigger tank for the tangs. we are workin on it. thank you all for your help! :)

just wanted to update everyone.. we just purchased a 125 gallon aquarium so once it's all set we will move the fish to that one! They shall be much happier fishys! They are all doing well still in the smaller tank for now but we're excited to get the new tank up and running!! Thanks again for everyone's help!

+1 lilfish....I was glad I did my upgrade! Setting it up initially was a lot of work, but now that it's been up for a year, it runs itself, really. Your tangs will be MUCH happier.

Back