Nudis On My Zoas!!

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
I think I found a nudi on some zoas tonight. I didn't know exactly what type of nudi, so I picked it off with tweezers. Studied the colony a bit more and found another of the same type nudi. Picked it off. Then I found another one on my brown button polyps. Picked it off.

I'm not even sure they are nudis. They are very small. Around 1/16" long--at the most. Could be less than that. Hard to even tell what color they are. Basically, it looks like a slug without a shell. Soft body. Kinda grayish body with some spots.

I've been all over trying to find a picture. Went to Melevsreef and found his pics of zoa eating nudis. The ones in my tank don't look exactly like that. But it's REALLY hard to tell. They are so friggin' small, I can't really see any specific features to help ID them.

I did find some small white spots on the first zoa colony and thought it could be eggs. They are very tiny spots. Like the size of finely ground pepper flakes. I found maybe 4 or 5 of them on the zoas. Could just be tank dust. I picked them off. They were kinda stuck on the polyps and I had to work a bit to get them off. I don't really know what it was. Have you ever seen a white egg sack from a house spider? Looks like a mini cotton ball. These white spots on my zoas look exactly the same, just tiny. Probably the size of the period at the end of this sentence.

The nudis were about the size of this aposterphe >> '

I can't get a pic of that. My camera won't do stuff that small.

Any ideas? My first reaction was to take all my zoas out of the tank and dip them in SeaChem Reef Dip for 10 minutes. But I don't want to panic and do anything in a hurry.

It wouldn't hurt to do another freshwater dip again Rc.Even when I had the nudibranch problem-they weren't quite that small.Could it be newly hatched or very young nudibranches.What about something else like young stomatella snails.I have hundreds that are so small it almost look slug like.Also,the eggsacks were in a spiral shape when I had that infestation.

I agree to go ahead and dip them. Better safe than sorry, and if you are finding unidentified critters on your zoas, you need to get rid of them.

Ricky and Desi. I like that! At least it wasn't, "To the Moon, Alice." Hey, I grew up with that stuff, way before it was reruns. And Dick VanDike, slept in a twin bed and always wore pajamas.

I had the same problem a couple of months ago. I did a Lugols dip and within a day the zoas all started to open up and looked really good. I also had the same problem with identifying them as they are so freakn small. I would try that and see if that works. Put the zoas in there and shake the colony around in the water a bit and just watch the little buggers fall off.

I did a bunch of reading and searching last night and I found a pic of the egg sacs from nudis. The nudi egg sacs look like a spiral pattern. My spots are just single white dots scattered here and there. So, then I started to think it might be zoapox.

None of the colonies look devastated though. They look healthy. All of them are open--well there is usually one or two polyps that aren't open at any given time. But for the most part, they look totally healthy.

I also spotted these little "slugs" on my yellow polyps last night. I was watching one of these "slugs" on a colony of zoas. It crawled around and got near the head of the polyp. The polyp was open about 1/2 way. When the slug got near the tentacles, it retreated and went down the side to the base of the polyp. Either it wasn't hungry, or it got stung.

What is the normal activity of the nudi? Do they begin to eat the polyp from the center of the head? Or do they eat from the outside around the stalk? Do they give a shit at all? Do they just dig in and start munching from anywhere?

I'm going hunting again tonight and see how things look. I don't want to FW dip just yet. I'm starting to think these aren't bad nudis, because they don't have the tell tale "arms" all over their body like a zoa eating nudi. The white spots I am seeing don't look like pics of nudi egg sacs.

More research and observation is in order.

The nudis will eat from the base of the stalk to the head.If they don't have the ''frilly'' back to them then those aren't the zoa eaters.

Thanks for the info on the bad nudis reeffreak.

Yote, they ain't pods. I've got amphipods and copepods in my tank. They all have hard shells and legs. These things look like a slug. They got no legs, or even a head that I can see. I wish I could get a picture or video. They're just too damn small for anything I got to focus on them.

Back