Nuisance fuge Algae

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
So my fuge always gets covered by a layer of cyano im assuming... purple blanket of crap... and this happens every week or so. I always take the macro i have in there and turn it around so the cyano doesnt block all the light from the good macro, but im thinking this shouldnt happen....... isnt that why i HAVE a fuge? to take nitrates and phosphates out of the water and prevent algae from growing?

Anything i can do about it??

ive thought about that but i dont really know how to increase flow in there without a powerhead, and the fuge section is like a 2-3 gallon section so a powerhead seems like overkill.. also, i think algae would get sucked into the powerhead and clog it

Can you skim the red slime algae out if you can knock it loose from the sides of the glass and from the sand?

If you can get the pump to suck it up, will it skim out?

my HOB likes to grow cyano. The same conditions that make it ripe for macro make it good for cyano. I put a little power head in to keep the water moving, and no more cyano.

how do you keep the macro from sucking into the power head???

and no it cant skim out because the fuge is the second "chamber", the first being the skimmer, so if i break it loose and not scoop it out, it will just get into my DT.

Back