Number of LED's for 40 gallon

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I am considering trying a DIY LED setup but need to know how many LED's I'd need for a 40 gallon breeder reef tank setup. Can't seem to find anything that gives specifics on how much light is needed to support coral.

I was looking at rapid led but wasn't aware of the other site. My thing is I have never soldered before and I don't see any of the quick connect type that rapid led sells. I'm sure it isn't that hard though and depending on how much I'd save in the difference in sites, I may learn how to solder lol. Either way, good to know how many I'll actually need. I can go more if I want more light right? That's just the average to support a reef system?

I was looking at rapid led but wasn't aware of the other site. My thing is I have never soldered before and I don't see any of the quick connect type that rapid led sells. I'm sure it isn't that hard though and depending on how much I'd save in the difference in sites, I may learn how to solder lol. Either way, good to know how many I'll actually need. I can go more if I want more light right? That's just the average to support a reef system?

yea you can go more on mine I'm doing 36 leds and then ill order moon lights from rapid led if you do go with aquastlye and dont know how to solder you can probably find some youtube videos on how to solder

Just an FYI, I've never head of that second site, while RapidLED has a proven product as well as proven customer service - sometimes its worth paying a little more for that. You can also email RapidLED, they'll set you up with exactly what you need, they are very helpful

+1 North
The second site is also using Bridgelux LED not Crees. I have no experience with either, however, most high quality pre-made LED fixtures use the Crees. I think there is a reason why their R&D has decided to go with those over other brands.

I have also looked into Home Page I have heard good reviews about his systems also.

Yeah, I'm probably going to go with rapid led if I do this. That other size just doesn't seem very professional and if I had to guess, it's somewhere other than the US and I don't want to have to deal with international shipping or any of that stuff.

Question if anyone can answer: What size should I get? I think maybe the 1 1/4" is too thin but not sure about the 4 1/2 and maybe the 6" is too big?? And for length, I am doing this for a 36" tank. I see that they only have two options for heatsinks, a 9" and a 20". If I get two 20's, they would overhang the sides of the tank (not a big deal) but wondering what I should do here.

Back