Ocellaris? Percula? Whatever...new fish

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
Despite my failed attempt at a Tang a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't pass up the chance to get another clown. I think (hope?) this one is bigger than the one I have now...I haven't compared yet. I think my first one is an ocellaris, and so I think the one I got is also an ocellaris.

What the heck is the difference between Ocellaris, true and false percula?? Is the percula the ones that have more pronounced black stripes that bleed into the next stripe? I posted this question a while back, but still get confused. Blah. Well, here he/she is acclimating.

DSC05901.jpg

DSC05898.jpg

If I had to guess i'd say its a ocellaris.Nice pick up..Why only one?Simple answer to tell between the 2,percs are a lighter orange color,while ocellaris's are a deeper burnt orange ....This is what i was always told

If I had to guess i'd say its a ocellaris.Nice pick up..Why only one?

I already have one :) The one I have now was my very first fish; I got her a year ago along with a 2nd one (the 2nd one ended up being male, but he died a few months ago of unknown causes). So hopefully my girl accepts the new one, who will no doubt end up being the more dominant one. I hope they don't kill each other!

Thats the only way I know how to tell them apart Wonton.The thicker black area on both ends of the white stripe.My guess is you have an Oce.

Congrats,hopefully this one does better.

HMMM,Well,you got me curious on how to tell,so i did some searching.It seems it has more to do with the dorsal fins than coloring.Now technically, the only sure way to know is the Perculas will have 10 dorsal spines (rarely they will have 9)
and Ocellaris clowns will have 11(rarely 10)
Now i look at mine and ponder?They were sold to me as a pair of ocellaris's 3+years ago..

Yeah I read about the fins, too -- BUT....see, percs will usually have 10, and Ocellaris CAN have 10, although rarely, like you mentioned.

Hence my continued confusion. The way one of the lfs folk joked about is "Well, fish can't read anyway, so if they look alike, let's hope they get along!" LOL

Damn nice shot! I can't get mine to sit still. He HATES the camera. As soon as he sees it, he hides...as soon as I hide it, he's back out. Wuss.

Hey,thats a pretty dang nice pic Ohno!

Let me put you on my hate list.....

Dennis-check,Catherine-check,Donna-check,Ohno-check!

Hey,thats a pretty dang nice pic Ohno!

Let me put you on my hate list.....

Dennis-check,Catherine-check,Donna-check,Ohno-check!

lol,i'm flattered to even be in the same sentence as them,they take great shots.I'm practcing though...

Last edited:
Aaaaaaaand......it's in. But I miscalculated the size. It's only SLIGHTLY bigger than my first clown. So no doubt, there's gonna be a fight. My first clown did come up to the new guy and did a shake. If she knows what's good for her, she'll keep on' givin' him the shakes and have a sex change LOL

DSC05902.jpg

Thanks :D I have a feeling that's the last decent shot I will have of him for a while :) He's trying to get used to the flow of the tank, and swimming up and down the tank, and my first clown is swimming alongside him...probably testing out the territory, trying to gather data ;)

Thats a purdy clown Wonton.:D

The way I tell the difference in Occ and percs,is by reading what their labeled as on their tank at the store :mrgreen:

Thats a purdy clown Wonton.:D

The way I tell the difference in Occ and percs,is by reading what their labeled as on their tank at the store :mrgreen:

In that case, the only label on the tank that this "clownfish" was on says I just bought a blue hippo tang for $24.99 :bounce:

Because of its name, Amphiprion percula, it is the True Percula Clownfish.
Typically orange in color with three white bars, with the middle bar having a forward-projecting bulge.
Has 10 (rarely 9) dorsal spines.
Usually has jet black margins of varied widths around its white bars, often of which can be rather thick.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

False Percula, Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
Typically orange in color with three white bars, with the middle bar having a forward-projecting bulge.
Has 11 (rarely 10) dorsal spines.
The spinous (anterior) part of the dorsal fin is taller.
May have no black margins present, but most often has thin, never thick black margins around its white bars.

Now the question I have is: Will they pair better if you get the same species? I know clownfish pair up frequently even the blacks and orange pair up. But would you be more successful if you have 2 same? My guess would be that their genes are so muddy that it doesn't matter anyways. =P

I'll have to look into this b/c I really want my 2 to pair up.

Oh and Wonton, if that guy is bigger than your female I would watch out xD Might have 2 Females lol. Things might work out for ya tho.

Last edited:
Back