octopus BH-300F skimmer microbubblessss

jzenob

Reefing newb
I have a BH-300F octopus skimmer and mine is just throwing out so many bubbles....it is stressing out my blue hippo tang and my sailfin tang....i duno what to do about this? i am thinking of a 200 micron sock to put on the out tube and maybe filling the whole in the center chamber that leads water to the out tube chamber and drilling a new whole n the other side where then the water would just flow where if came from and bubbles would be in the first chamber not the third chamber? I duno what else to do...did anyone else have this experience and if so how did you make things better? please help

I just got it friday.......had it running over night and woke up and found my blue hippo at the top of the water almost a white color and my sailfin has also be stressed by the micobubbles.....i know the skimmer needs to run for about month before it is broken in but i cant run it now if it is going to kill all my fish in the tank....I need something that will help the bubble situation bad ne suggestions ?

hi mate i very much doubt a few bubbles will be stressing ur hippo tang out or any fish whats ur water paremeters?? do you use tap water??

Hey buddy....all levels are at 0 and yes i use tap water and have been using lake erie tap water on all my fish tanks and everything has been fine...i have had my blue hippo for 3 months now and there has never been a problem i know its the micobubbles because they can mess with their slim coat and screw them up...but thanks for your help

what the hell you onabout buddy im telling you a 1000% a few bubbles does not make a regal tang and sailfin go white over night LMFAO whohas told you it takes a month to run a skimmer in??????? 3/4 days at most

wowzers pal i duno who you think you are mr reef or something but i think i may know a lil more than you think....i know micro bubbles will cause a fish to stress like a hippo tang....they are fish that if you look at them the wrong way they get ich so ya and it takes a few weeks for a skimmer to break in pal

If you've already got the filter sock,I'd use it to help with the bubbles.
If you dont have the sock,then try a pair of nylon stockings.Just dont tell the wife what your using em for,or she'll think you've lost it.:mrgreen:

wowzers pal i duno who you think you are mr reef or something but i think i may know a lil more than you think....i know micro bubbles will cause a fish to stress like a hippo tang....they are fish that if you look at them the wrong way they get ich so ya and it takes a few weeks for a skimmer to break in pal

+1 jzenob!!!!!

If you are using tap water conditioner or a slime coat additive, that will make your skimmer do exactly what it's doing. You can't use a skimmer and tap water. If you use a skimmer, you'll have to switch to RODI water, because dechlorinators make them go berserk.

I thought I had posted this, but I have no idea where it went:
Try pointing the output of the skimmer towards the wall (if you can), and try putting in a bigger, less dense sponge in the 3rd chamber.

all i asked in the 1st post was whats water he was using and i got this sarcastic reply

Hey buddy....all levels are at 0 and yes i use tap water and have been using lake erie tap water on all my tanks

and everything has been fine...i have had my blue hippo for 3 months now and there has never been a problem i know its the micobubbles because they can mess with their slim coat and screw them up...but thanks for your help

so your problem is ur tap water with all the conditioners in it so abviously you dont know what ur doing

and in reply to jzenob about do you think im mister reef lets look at ur tank mines 8x3x3 in the showcase

lets c what you got cos ive noticed alot people on this site use backward equipment

golden rule in keeping marines dont buy CHEAP cos you will replacing it

lol your so silly you european queer...thanks for you sweet post pal but i dont need you 2 cents or pounds lol i got everything under control and looks like i am doing very well so TA TA to you "mate" lol have a cup of tea for me and maybe a sugar cookie lol

you know what ur doing so why you asking on here. tap water youa aint got the 1st clue come lets seee your tank nob

let me guess you was using a seaclone skimmer before that does nothing you have bought a new skimmer with only a LITTLE more punch and its causing bubbles if u know what ur doing why the hell u asking on here

so every one be carefull if a few bubbles go in ur tanks its gonna stress all ur fish ive never heard so much shit come out someones mouth lmfao

ive showed this thread to my lfs hes not stop laughing yet

Last edited:
ugh, the way both of you type, it looks like illiterate gibberish! Stop the text-speak flame war and let's focus on helping figuring out the problem.

Thank you parrot.

Yes, CAPITALIZATION and PUNCTUATION exist for a reason. Use them.

Enough with the insults. If you can't get along, don't respond to each other, please.

And whether you disagree or not, tap water is probably your problem. Skimmers don't work with dechlorinators. I said it before. Take the advice or leave it. If you want to use a skimmer, you should switch to RODI water.

Back