Octopus BH-800 HOB with tons of bubbles

lockkeeper69

Reefing newb
I just purchased the Octopus BH-800 skimmer. I was concerned I would have issues getting the siphon and starting the flow. This was actually quite easy. My issue is the unit produces so many fine bubbles they get exhausted in the tank. So many bubbles I can not see the back of the tank when running.

I have an adjustment valve I use to try to adjust air intake to control bubble flow up the tube. I think I can get this adjusted but I can not handle the amount of bubbles in the tank. If I restrict the air too much it gets really noisy and sucks air in the intake tank. If I let the air run unrestricted there are way too many bubbles and I can not move cup up high enough to prevent overflow.

Also if I raise the cup above a hole in the wall between the center bubble chamber and the discharge chamber I get bubbles going through this hole too.

I am told this is normal for break in and it will go away in a couple of weeks. I can't imagine this as there are so many bubbles.

I see there are people here who have this model and have worked through this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I will turn the water out to the back of the tank see if that helps.

Freshreef- did you have the bubble issue in the tank for 3 weeks? There were so many bubbles it looked like alka-seltzer and actually fizzed on water surface.

Mine bubbles a lot after water changes and after I clean it...within 2-3 days it's down to no bubbles.

Give it some time, it should improve...

It will probably take at least a week or two for it to start running normally. And that's for any skimmer, not specifically Octopus. In the meantime, to minimize the bubbles, turn it down so that it produces less. Don't worry about it skimming out gunk while it's breaking in, if it's going to create a lot of bubbles in the tank for now.

I started the filter again today when I could stay and monitor it. Today was better in the bubble department. I am still getting bubbles in the tank but much less.

I have the collection cup up as high as I can get it. Producing a thick foam rising up the tube. Things are looking much better.

I would not believe the difference and that there would actually be a difference after what I saw yesterday.

Thanks to all who replied!!!!

I have a BH-300F octopus skimmer and mine is just throwing out so many bubbles....it is stressing out my blue hippo tang and my sailfin tang....i duno what to do about this? i am thinking of a 200 micron sock to put on the out tube and maybe filling the whole in the center chamber that leads water to the out tube chamber and drilling a new whole n the other side where then the water would just flow where if came from and bubbles would be in the first chamber not the third chamber? I duno what else to do...did anyone else have this experience and if so how did you make things better?

How long has the skimmer been set up and running? It usually takes a couple weeks for them (or any skimmer) to break in and start working properly.

Ya i know that but i cant run the skimmer if it is going to kill my fish....i mean i need to find a way to get rid of the microbubbles i mean they are throughout the whole tank its bad.....does neone know how to mess with this skimmer maybe turn down the flow or something?

Can you point the outflow at the wall at all? That can help while you wait for it to break it. Also, try putting a bigger sponge in the 3rd chamber.

Since the thread got resurrected and there seems to be more responses I thought I would provide an update on my Octopus B-800.

Still many micro bubbles at times. I find I have to have the collection cup very high in the chamber or it skims very wet and fills the cup very quickly. I have been to my LFS many times to discuss the issue. I have tried extra sponges in the return chamber with no improvement. As soon as I add food to the water the bubbles in the skimmer flatten out and the micro bubbles fill the tank. What I mean by flatten out is that the bubbles do not push up the tube in the cup. I can understand the feeding time issue with bubbles but the rest of the time has me and my LFS confused.

Sometimes, seldom I have no bubbles. It seems the best in the morning before the lights come on.

My LFS has suggested adding an elbow to the inside of the return chamber on the outlet. I am not sure how this would work or how it would eliminate the micro bubble issue. Anyone have any ideas?

Other than the micro bubble issue the skimmer seems to be doing a great job. Water quality is excellent. Everything seems to be flourishing. The micro bubbles don’t seem to bother anyone in my tank.

I have a Blue Hippo, Orchid Dottyback, two True Percula, three Bartlett Anthias, a Coca Worm and a good clean up crew in my 120 gal.

mod it. i have the same one put the cup down to the overflow hole and it will help let me see if i can find the pics for the mod and turn the output elbow toward the back of the tank.

James, I looked a the pictures and tried to understand what you did. I could not. I really want to try the mod but dont want to screw things up. Is it possible to explain a little better what you did?

i think imo the pump that is supplying the skimmer is pumping through a little to quick. put a tap valve on the outlet line for the pump thats supplying the skimmer and turn the water flow down a little by adjusting the tap i almost guarannte this will help. the pump is to pwoerfull this way it lowers the water level in the skimmer a little and when the air flow is adjusted it will cause the water level to rise. and produce a thick skimmate from the skimmer and the result almost no bubbles returning the aquarium the water level needs to be about half inch from the top of the main chamber when u adjust the air it will rise. manythanks and i hope this helps

Last edited:
This skimmer is a HOB and the pump is internal in the unit. I can not adjust water flow. I have tried to use a valve on the air intake with no micro bubble reduction.

The skimmer is producing nice thick skimmate. I know it is doing the job. Bubbles only issue.

ok right were the elbow is at in the intake is where i drilled the hole just a bit under the hole that is for the return overflow i will see if i can get a better pic when i get my dsl modem fixed.

Back