Octopus Hob

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
I got a Octopus BH100 hob and just started it up today. I know they go through a breaking in period but i just dont know if its running like it should.

It makes a pretty loud noise, like someone pouring water in a cup, it makes no "foam" and it makkes some large bubbles in the tank. Any ideas if this is all ok? or what can i do to make it better??

i dont use any kind of conditioners, i buy my water from the LFS so if they do... then yes but i doubt it. Along side those big bubbles i now have TONS of microbubbles. And yes the collection cup is pretty high, i had skimmate yesterday forming kind of but today there is none and the water level and the few foam made are about 1/2 inch below the collection cup.

I'd give it at least a week to break in. Skimmers act weird in the beginning. I highly doubt your LFS is using a tap water conditioner, so at least you don't have to deal with that issue.

what about the microbubbles issue? Im having that going on right now too. Also, my return pipe is open at the top, like i could stick my finger in there touch the water going back in my tank. If i put my palm over this hole, the big bubbles arent a problem anymore but i dunno if thats good. I can post a pic if needed of what im talking about.

Yea, here it is, the hole goes all the way through... like if i poured water in that hole it would go into the tank

n1500930697_30593489_6090.jpg

i dont know if id describe it like that, but if i cover the hole with my hand and then take my hand of it does make a sucking-ish/gurggling noise.

ok is there a hole in the side chamber that allows the overflow of water? if so than put you cup down to were it is at so that the water stops running through it.

there is no plug for the large hole on the return, and there IS a hole on the side for the overflow of water, but the water line isnt even near it, but i have moved the cup down to the water line yesterday. I could make a plug for that hole, which will stop the large bubbles, but what about microbubbles? Any suggestions?

i was oing to say thos before than i forgot. but i cut a peice of poly filter and rubberbanded it over the exit to cut down on the bubbles comming in to the tank and it stoped almost all of them.

Back