Octopus Startup Help

I've just done some more research, and the place I was going to get the octo from is selling them for $16, but they retail at other places for $40, what is a good place for octos where I know I'm not going to get ripped off, as this price seems dangerously low.

That was my starting point for more research, I was looking at prices of live rock, and that was on the price chart, so I wanted to know more. Which you recommend, the dwarf or the vulgaris? Thanks.

Octos can pick up rock and cause a glass-breaking avalanche in your tank. You may wish to glue or cement your rock down or at least make sure the rock does not topple easily.

I'm sure you've read this in your research....Octos are incredibly intelligent and if there IS a way for them to get out of the tank they will find it. An escape-proof tank is crucial to success.

You rarely see people on these types of forums attempting to keep Octos....I am excited to see how this goes. They'e fascinating creatures to me and seem incredibly difficult to care for.

I've seen people on other forums use actual master locks and things to secure the lid.
The LFS uses rocks on top of the lid but that still seems risky to me.

Without knowing much about Octos to be honest, I see no reason why that tank wouldn't work. You'll probably need a better lid though. You can get rid of that thing completely imo and then build your own canopy or maybe find one that fits more securely. Building your own will probably be cheaper and easier as well as more secure.

I cleared something on another forum. The guy said the lid would not work, but he wrote it funny so I thought he meant the whole tank wouldnt work, thank you!

I still am trying to figure out how to completely filter my tank if the octopus inks or something. I've heard skimmers and ro/di systems, but which would the best for everyday filtration, and wont suck my octopus up into it? I also found out that the place I was going to get a bimac from was a scam, so I switched to a dwarf octo.

Back