Octopus Tank

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Shep, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Shep

Shep

Hey,

I have always wanted to set up a tank to house an octopus but I know that they can be really difficult to take care of. I was wondering if anyone has ever owned and maintained an octopus before?

P.S if you have pictures, that would be awesome

Thanks!
    -Tom

Shep, Aug 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Shep

Aquarian

Not yet, but they are escape artistes. The local Aquariume here bordered thier octopus tank with indoor outdoor carpet to help keep them fron climbing out. It seems they don't like the feel of it.

Aquarian, Aug 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Shep

ErinCahir Sausage Wrangler

ErinCahir, Aug 28, 2013
    Shep likes this.
  4. Shep

DJ_Z

+1 to the lifespan issue. Octopi are very intelligent animals. They can solve basic problems to achieve goals of self-preservation, communicate with each other, and recognize people when in captivity. The only reason they aren't held to the same standard of animal intelligence as things like dolphins and chimpanzees is that they only live two or three years in the wild. And in captivity almost any animals lifespan is cut short. Between that and the fact that they are expensive, I'd advise against it.

If you do decide to establish a tank, it should be very large and for a single specimen. Also, octopus ink, while an interesting defense mechanism, can pollute a limited system like a small or mid-size aquarium. If you startle it, and it inks, you basically have to do a water change immediately.

DJ_Z, Aug 29, 2013
  5. Shep

AnthonyTheNewbie

+1 on the ink. You should always have a new batch of salt water ready, and on hand in case of it inks.

AnthonyTheNewbie, Aug 31, 2013
  6. Shep

lilmatty5dimes

Our wholesaler had a sweet blue ring from down under. Said " if It grabs ya your a goner".

lilmatty5dimes, Sep 1, 2013
  7. Shep

ErinCahir Sausage Wrangler

He's not joking.

ErinCahir, Sep 1, 2013
  8. Shep

Marinne13 Northern Reefer

I would personally not do one

Marinne13, Sep 2, 2013
  9. Shep

DJ_Z

Blue ring octopus is very small, but easily one of the most poisonous marine animals in existence. Zoas scare me enough with some of the horror stories, I'd never own an animal that could kill me if it decided to come after me while I was reaquascaping, or scraping coraline algae.

DJ_Z, Sep 2, 2013
  10. Shep

RockStacker

At least zoas can't figure out how to unlock aquarium lids and come after you. Octopi can.

RockStacker, Sep 3, 2013
    Aquarian likes this.
  11. Shep

DaveDiveMaster 150 gallon Reef Tank

I'm a diver. LOVE finding octopi. "An octopuses garden" is the dozens of empty clam shells that clue you in that there's an Octopus in the reef holes. Beautiful, smart, amazing creatures. That said... leave them in the ocean. Lifespan issue addressed, escape artist addressed, and honestly... I think it might just be cruel. I think they'd know they were imprisoned. I've always thought how cool it would be to have one to watch... but I always come back to taking a deep breath and saying... I need to go diving...

DaveDiveMaster, Sep 12, 2013
    Aquarian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question