Odd crab in open brain coral

Kelz88

Got Reef?
Hello everyone, just wanted to ask in case anyone has ever experienced a crab living in the flesh/skeleton of an open brain?

Attached a pic, he seems like he is digging around in the coral and I have tried tweezers to get him out but it just isnt happening, any advice on what exactly he is and how to get him out of there?

Thanks in advance!

012-1_zpsa525ffc6.jpg

Nope you have to dig them out, was looking at those exact posts last night before i went to bed.

Im also assuming thats what she is, a gall crab. Still in there atm though may try and get him out soon. Hopefully w/o killing the coral

Nope you have to dig them out, was looking at those exact posts last night before i went to bed.

Im also assuming thats what she is, a gall crab. Still in there atm though may try and get him out soon. Hopefully w/o killing the coral

Definitely, asap. After seeing those pics of them with eggs..:shock:

Going to do it later, bf needs to take pics of the coral for the reef store he bought it from. After that I will take him out. (when he is poofy you cant see this guy)

I know im prolly gonna freak when i get him out lol. Those pics give me the chills. Can i superglue the hole after i take him out? If it was any other coral I would have, just scared that it will hurt the brain.

I would try to get a drill bit that's a little bit larger than the hole and drill right into it. Maybe someone else will chime in and say "That's a bad idea!" though. :)

its one of the new corals on afk's website lol.

The thing is downright nightmare material lol, didnt get it out yet the brain is beyond poofy lol. Ill try either after i turn out the lights or in the morning, and ill share some pics if i am sucessful.

I did manage to get most of this crab out, couldnt get the hard shell part out but I ripped out the eggsack and stabbed the remainder multiple times.

Here a pic of the eggsack
002-4_zpsc7ad2b75.jpg

And the brain now
022_zpscbe22322.jpg

Back