odd crab

bigford

fish only
My wife bought a crab for my tank tonight and its a odd bugger
its front claws are formed close to its body unlike a blue claw type of crab.
and as always the LFS staff just called it a white crab. I got home dripped
him and now he or she is buried in the sand with only its eyes showing
any idea what it is ?

here as good a pic as i could get
100_0274.jpg

100_0281.jpg

100_0283.jpg

100_0282.jpg

UHHH

You DO know that's not a reef safe crab don't you? Probably not even safe to have in a fish only tank.

Look at its claws.Notice how they are sharp and pointed? That crab is a predator.

It's not a porcelain crab, which is the most commonly sold white-colored crab. I don't know what kind of crab that is. It's not one that's usually sold for reef tanks.

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger! Tell your wife that you love her very much, and thank her for being so thoughtful. Then let her know that unfortunately, that crab will probably kill all your fish, so you're going to catch it, take it back to the store, and let her pick out a lovely reef-safe critter (be it coral, invert, or fish) that you will be able to treasure long-term. And then tell her that every time you see it, you will think of how sweet she was to understand about the crab being not reef-safe (and having to go back) and how beautiful the new reef-safe critter is.

ok i see how this is going to play out...
bad crab in tank... get octopuss to get rid of crab.....
now i have a mean octopuss in tank....
get shark to get rid of puss.....
this seams to make the problem larger and meaner :question:

ok i see how this is going to play out...
bad crab in tank... get octopuss to get rid of crab.....
now i have a mean octopuss in tank....
get shark to get rid of puss.....
this seams to make the problem larger and meaner :question:

You know that LARGE predator tank we all dream about? Well,now you have very good excuse.:mrgreen:

Back