Odyssea Light Fixture

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
I got an Odyssea T5 fixture about a year ago online and it worked fine for a while, but now I realize what a piece of crap it is. The lunar lights are falling off of the fixture, and 2 out of the 4 bulbs are not working. They are brand new, couple weeks old, ATI bulbs, so I know its not the bulbs... one of the bulbs comes on if i hit the fixture, the other is permanently off.

Not only did i waste over $100 on a fixture that I need to take apart and completely rewire now... but my tank runs looks like crap now due to half of the fixture going out all the time. Its usually off every time I come back from class.

Bottom line... it might look like a good deal because its $100... but you'll regret it in a year.

Save your money, buy quality.

Hit or miss, I've had my 48 inch PC fixture from them for over 3 years now, it started on my 55g when it was a heavily planted freshwater and has done duty for over a year on the same 55G when I turned it into a saltwater tank. No problems so far.

Yeah I just ordered a 48" T5 light fixture from them. Only had it running for two days now but no problems yet :x: I am deff. a little scared having it having heard all of the bad things about them in the past but I really needed a light and I didnt have much money.

I think it depends on the person and what you want. For instance the body of the light of the Odyssea lights is just as good as any other brand. The ballasts are more than likely so so, but they're in all likelihood either exact copies or the same type as other brands use that the factory in china just produce "off hours".

I recently gave my Odyssea a good cleaning by taking it almost all the way apart, salt creep had gotten to one of the night LEDs and it stopped working. I got a replacement LED opened it up and wired it in. The wiring was not really top notch but it wasn't unsafe in any way. Often time when these fixtures stop working I would imagine it's a loose wire, which is easily fixable even for someone not familiar with electronics if they're willing to be a bit brave. And even if the ballasts go you can replace them and usually still end up paying less than the cost of some of the other light fixtures out there. I've always thought that there was a huge potential market for cheaper fish tank equipment because frankly I look at some of the stuff out there and just have to wonder why they cost so much. I mean 50% of the skimmers on the market are really just plexiglass tubes with a cup on the top. They charge hundreds of dollars for those things...boggles me. Same with some of the light fixtures, I can see where the cost comes from on some of them, on others...well I'm willing to bet the profit margin is quite good.

Having said all that, if you buy Odyssea products KNOW that you are taking a chance. I've had good luck with them and have for the price been pleased but you do need to know what you are getting into with them.

Very well put Von. My 10 gallon tank is from the same company and the only problem that ive had with it is that the bulb burnt out. No biggie for me, I can deal with that. Also had that 10 gallon tank for about 4 years now.

i have a 250 watt MH oddsea and never had any issues with it,it works great,had to get a new balast but that wasnt the companys fault it was mine because my hant overflowed and the balast got soaked while it was on,so you can see whos fault it is,i am looking to trade it for a t5 lamp with 4 bulbs if anyone has something used to trade me

Back