Official Application

beancntr

Back into Salt
Ok Biff. I'm officially submitting my application to the AFT Club. Came home tonight and my tank has turned totally green in one day. Params @ 0, Ph 8.3. Plan to do a water change. What else do I do? Will it hurt my fish?

Sorr. Using Internet on cell phone. didn't see other post on algae until too late. Sump w/bioballs, skimmer (unknown brand) 2 clowns, 2 chromis, 1 yellow tang, 1 watchman goby. 80# rock.

Welcome to the AFT! After much thoughtful consideration, your application has been accepted! Test your nitrates and phosphates. Let us know what they read. Algae won't hurt your fish. It's just a pain in the a$$ to get rid of.

Great! Trates are 0. will have to find a phosphate test. LFS's SUCK around here. Never did find a calcium test. will a uv sterilizer help? Was thinking of ordering one.

Yep, you may have to order tests online if you can't find them locally. But I bet that your phosphate levels are high. What kind of food do you feed and how much how often?

Bean don't do it!!!

I don't remember how long your tank has been running,but maybe its time for a water change.Test nitrates and phosphate,if they are at or near zero cut back a little on the lights.To me,algae is just a maturing part of your tank,it will get better in time.Good luck and resist the temptation to join the AFT.

ps...a UV will help with algae and illness to your fish/coral in the long run but not necessary for a successful reef,me thinks

Good luck

Believe me...I wanted to resist joining at all costs. I love this site, and Biff, I like you (us women are few around here, I've noticed) but I never really wanted to join! It really isn't all that bad. I wasn't prepared for a water change tonight, so have salt in a bucket of water preparing for change. I've had some of the brown algae for weeks, but it wasn't too bad. This morning I noticed a small (quarter size!) green patch on a rock, and I come home to the hairy green monster! It really isn't THAT bad, but anything green and hairy and slimey is yucky to me. I guess better now than later when I have pretty corals and an anemone to deal with. At least now all I'm doing is scaring some fish around. :)

hey bean what all is green just so your aware coralline will start out as a lime green and up to 3 months later turns pink purple or red is it on your glass if so does it come off easy if not congrats its good algae if so its bad and prolly from overfeeding.

I scraped the glass last night and it comes off pretty easy. I've lowered the lights so they aren't on as much either. After I cleaned it up, the water was cloudy for about an hour then it looked much better. We'll see what I come home to tonight!!

what did you scrape it with and look at it this way if it is coralline by chance a) you just seeded it more thats a good thing.
B) your a aft member with algae to the good which means the president will have to accept me otherwise it could be noted as sexual descrimination :)

Unfortunately, I don't think it is the good kind. I used an algae scouring pad and it came right off. Dark green and hairy. Plan to do a more thourough cleaning this weekend. Makes my yellow tang pretty happy, though!

Yep, if it's dark green and hairy, you're in the club for sure! Sorry Jelly, we still aren't allowing you coralline folks in ;). We are exclusive like that. Algae pads will only go so far, and if your tank is bad, your arm will really start aching (or at least mine did, but maybe that's because I'm a weakling). Bean, you might want to invest in a Mag Float with an Easy Blade, I bought this thing a few months ago and it has been a LIFESAVER. Cleaning my glass has never been so easy.

Mag-Float 350 Magnet Cleaner (Glass) - Large (350 Gal) - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store
Easy Blade - Black (Glass Only) - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store

one step ahead - I told you I didn't want to join! Already have a mag float. I just have to take the mylar off the back and clean that. There are just places where it can't get to because of the rock, which will probably be rearranged this weekend much to Walter's (goby) disliking.

Heh heh. Walter. That's cool. If there's algae on the rocks you can flip them over so that the algae won't get light, that way it will die off and at the same time you can work to fix whatever parameter is causing the algae in the first place. If it turns out you have phosphates, you might want to try a phosphate sponge of some sort (RowaPhos, Phosban, etc.).

Back