Oh darn, bleaching

EliWhitney314

Phish Head
One of my new chalices has a very small bleach spot? What is the best course of action? It is at the very edge and away from the eye, but I don't want to stress it out anymore than I have too.

Sorry can't help you with this one. One of the chalices I bought from my LFS slowly started bleaching too (I started it about 2/3 of the way down the tank, and it came from dim light, so I figured it'd be okay). So then I moved it to the very bottom -- and the bleaching continued. So then I moved it to the very top, and the bleaching seems to have slowed down. It's hard to fix the problem, because it can be from either too much light or too little light.

I have a good bit of flow, and it was on a frag rack in the middle of the tank. I just asked the seller about it, and they said the SC likes to be high up. The other two corals like to be low.

Generally, yes. But it depends on the lighting where I bought them from. If it appears the lighting was lower than mine, then I definitely start them on the bottom and give them time to adjust. But sometimes it's hard to know what conditions they came from.

Back