Oil Spill in Gulf

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Chris_150G, May 6, 2010.

1. Chris_150G

Chris_150G

I just got this today. Here is some information about the oil spill in the Gulf with some amazing pictures. Take a look.

Attached Files:

Chris_150G, May 6, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Chris_150G

Bifferwine I am a girl

Wow that's incredible. So sad for the lost workers and their families. And the environment.

Bifferwine, May 6, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Chris_150G

dcantucson

Incredible pictures! Thanks.

dcantucson, May 6, 2010
  4. Chris_150G

Chris_150G

Its is a terrible tragedy. The damage is going to be wide spread and long lasting. I was just listening to a story about how one of the chemicals they are using makes the oil sink to the bottom so it won't hit the shore line. Once on the bottom, it could just sit there for a long, long time.

Chris_150G, May 6, 2010
  5. Chris_150G

Bifferwine I am a girl

We all know how much life is in the rocks and sands of our tanks. That life is the basis of the entire food chain in the ocean. The oil that sinks to the bottom will smother that out, and in turn cause a huge upset at every link of the food chain upward.

Bifferwine, May 6, 2010
  6. Chris_150G

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Ya know.I thought they were just supposed to expolring for oil and not actually drilling for oil when the rig caught on fire?
    I hate that those crew members died doing their jobs.But I got a feeling that BP was trying to cover up exactly what they were doing when the fire started.
    No matter what,its gonna have far reaching impacts on the wildlife and the people that make their livings from the gulf.Plus if I'm not mistaken,their expecting the slick to make it up the eastern seaboard now.

yote, May 6, 2010
  7. Chris_150G

Cathic Fish Wrangler

They are capping today or attempting it at least. Also, the chemical dispersant they use breaks the oil up into smaller droplets using two separate chemicals in the same compound. Naturally, some oil sinks and some oil floats the dispersant they use doesn't affect this, breaking it down into smaller drops will help it naturally breakdown quicker. This should be much less worse than the Exxon Valdez Spill, and is estimated to reach Florida without hitting the Gulf Stream. If the "Cup" caps work this will be an entirely different Ball game.

Cathic, May 6, 2010
  8. Chris_150G

Bifferwine I am a girl

Unfortunately, what BP initially stated was false -- that the oil was of a composition that naturally breaks down very easily. It was later found out that whatever they were drilling for in fact is one of the more difficult types of oil to break down.

There was a lot of misinformation in the beginning, and BP released a lot of info that later turned out not to be true (i.e. the miscalculation about how much oil was leaking out). They tried to prevent the government from intervening for as long as possible. I think it is yet to be seen if they lied on purpose, or if they really just didn't know.

Bifferwine, May 6, 2010
  9. Chris_150G

Chris_150G

Interesting. Smaller drops would allow for more surface area. I do remember them saying that the sinking oil will likely stick around. And it was in the context of the dispersant. I want more info on sinking oil.

Chris_150G, May 6, 2010
  10. Chris_150G

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

I say we put a bunch more of them all around the rim of the country....I think that would be a great idea....I wonder how much shit we could kill within a year or two. What a friggin shame. Drill baby Drill Drill Baby Drill .....Absolutely Genius.:frustrat:

All 3 safety measures failed, and 11 hardworking men lost their lives. I wonder how many times those guys on that rig complained that the safety equipment didn't work? I'm sure alot, I wonder how many times they were listened to? Zero. I wonder how many times they were told to shut up and get back to work, everytime. And now they're gone, the gulf is a mess and BP rolls on. I haven't stopped for gas at a BP since this happened.

Last week you heard the COO of BP talking about how they're going to pay for the entire cleanup...this week, he's sticking an extra word or phrase into his disclaimer...."within reason" and "legitmate".... hmmmm. I wonder when I'm getting the bill for this?

PRC, May 6, 2010
  11. Chris_150G

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

It was worse than the Exxon Valdeez last week...The spill is larger than the enitre island of Puerto Rico. This is the largest oil spill in oils spills history.

PRC, May 6, 2010
  12. Chris_150G

Bifferwine I am a girl

At the moment, there is a cap on how much oil companies have to pay outside of the cost of direct cleanup (like how much they have to pay people who have lost their jobs due to the oil spill, lawsuits, etc.) Congress is currently trying to push through lifting that cap so that BP doesn't get to squeak by only paying the minimum that they can.

Bifferwine, May 6, 2010
  13. Chris_150G

cthegame

incredible pictures. Thanks for sharing :Cheers:

cthegame, May 7, 2010
  14. Chris_150G

Cathic Fish Wrangler

PRC in order for this to reach Exxon Valdez size it would need to spill over 11 million gallons i believe, to date it is at or near 3-4 million.

Cathic, May 7, 2010
  15. Chris_150G

fastrd400 It wasn't me! Moderator

Their getting there. But still not bigger than Exxon.

The well blew open on April 20 when the Deepwater Horizon drilling platform exploded 50 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico, killing 11 workers. The well has been spewing an estimated 200,000 gallons a day in the nation's biggest oil spill since the Exxon Valdez disaster in Alaska in 1989.

fastrd400, May 7, 2010
  16. Chris_150G

meatwad0601 a.k.a. Don Jeremeat

im not saying that this is not a tragedy but don't say that the oil company's don't care about the environment and that everyone out here dosent work as safe as they can. there are factors in what they were doing that were out of there hands, and the safety devices they had weren't gonna do any good anyway cause it happened in a second. i personally work out in the gulf and they will shut down a project in a second that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars a day if they see one sea turtle in the area and wont do anything until it leaves on its own. i go through hours of safety meetings every job and anyone has the power to shut down the whole operation if there's anything unsafe. think about this, if you were told to do something that would put your life in danger would you do it. no and they understand it.

meatwad0601, May 7, 2010
  17. Chris_150G

Ulta REEFER

imo, the government should have intervened as soon as they realized the the severity of it. Instead of relying on BP to figure out a solution... It should have been considered a national disaster or something and taken care of, then sent the bill to BP.

Ulta, May 7, 2010
  18. Chris_150G

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

BP is taking financial responsibility and taking cleanup responsibility, too, though. They still don't accept all the blame -- they blame it on the contractor or someone. But at least yeah, they're not sitting on their hands about this.

wontonflip, May 7, 2010
  19. Chris_150G

Ulta REEFER

Now correct me if I'm wrong, I really don't watch a lot of TV just what is on late at night while I'm doing other things.

But I'm pretty sure I heard that cleanup/containment ships were docked for 2 days due to rough water, containment equipment not working properly letting oil through/over, and even some of the equipment/netting getting washed up onto shore?

That sounds to me like a pretty big fail. Something as severe as this needs to have extreme priority imo.

Ulta, May 7, 2010
  20. Chris_150G

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

Well, I haven't kept up with all the details either, but whether it was the company or the government, they would not put their workers at risk if the conditions were unsafe. I don't think it was a malicious intent, because it will cost the company money if the cleanup crew were just sitting there waiting for good weather.

wontonflip, May 7, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question