Oily Layer of Surface

Shep

Reefing newb
Hey

So I have been having this problem with an oily layer on the surface of my tank for a while now. At first I thought it was due to not having a protein skimmer but I have just recently got a Reef Octopus BH-100 and it is doing a great job of removing crap from my water but does noting to get rid of the oily layer on the surface. Does anyone know what it could be and how to get rid of it?

Thanks
-Tom

+1 fast

You can also lay a paper towel on the surface of the water to soak it up. Pointing a power head at the water line will be more effective, though.

I am actually having the same problem and have tried the paper towel and pointed a power head at the surface and it did nothing...not really sure what to do

if anyone had more insight it would be great

This oily layer is the organic waste buildup that is attracted to the interface between air and water.
This is the exact same waste that should be processed out via skimmer.

The issue might be that your skimmer has it's intake tube too deep and is actually under the water surface. It should be at or near the water surface to skim off these organic waste buildup as it sucks in the water to be processed.
Agitating the water surface will help as it re-mixes the organic waste back into the water and eventually sucked by the skimmer intake. But proper adjustment of the skimmer intake should address this as well.

the sheen is the reason the surface should skim off, like an overflow does....then it goes to the fuge and sump and is dealt with there....bout the only solution with HOB filtration is using a separate surface skimmer like the ones Tom's makes, or make your own...all it really needs to be is a box with "shark teeth" like those on a regular overflow, you set it up where the box teeth are just above the surface and the skimmer suction pulls inside the box....

Re surface agitation will move the water into your over flow and on to your skimmer. If you have an oily residue on your water surface then you either do not have enough agitation to push it out, or your water level is to low.

Back