Oily looking water

KillerChimps3600

Reefing newb
Well its the 4th day i have had my tank set up and i came home and looked at the tank and it was looking much more clear then before, until i looked up towards the top and it looks like there is an oily film all over the top. Is this normal and what could be causing it? Also will my cats hair getting in the tank everyonce and awhile be bad? haha

IMG_1831small.jpg

IMG_1833small.jpg

Thanks

My tank has a sheen when i look at it from the top or look up towards the surface i have not seen any problem thus far but dont have an explanation.

It doesn't look like you've got alot of water agitation on the top of your water. I'd move your powerheads so that it can disturb the water. From my understanding, what you're looking at is protein and other left overs from the food you're feeding. If you get those powerheads up, it will keep that stuff in the water column, probably feed some of your corals, and then get removed through your overflow.

Well its only the 4th day i have had the tank set up, i only have rock right now. My powerheads should show up tomorrow so right now all i have is a small canister filter cycling the water.

These things will work too.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Tom_Aquatics_Aquarium_Surface_Skimmer_Surface_Extractor_Filter_Accessories-Tom`s_Aquatics-OE1138-FIFRFASE-vi.html

Would that just go in by itself or does it work best with another filter, and some of the reviews say the thing is huge and takes up a lot of space, I only have a little 20Gallon i need all the space I can get ha.

Back