OK...Accessorize my Tank (REEF TANK w/ LPS and SPS)

ReefyCane

SuperNewbie
OK All,

Cross your fingers for me, but I think I have struck a deal for an All-Glass 120G with stand. It also comes along with the glass tops!

Ok so this should be fun....I need you to suggest which accessories I get for the tank. This means best bang for the buck in all areas including live sand and live rock! Sump size suggestions are also needed.

Thanks and let's have fun with this!

~RC

CaribSea AragAlive Fiji Pink sand. It usually comes in 20lb bags and is ready to put in the tank without rinsing. It looks like a very nice beach sand with a slight tint of pink, but nothing really noticeable.

Here's my take.

T5 or a combination with MH depending on what corals you want
Coralife Super Skimmer of Octopus
4 Koralia powerheads #3 or #4
Live rock 1-2 pounds per gallon Hear TBS is one of the best
Live sand enough for a 1-2 inch sandbed
2 heaters in case one goes you'll still have the other one
30 gallon or larger sump with furge

I know I probably forgot something.

I'm try to remember the size of a 120g.If I remember correctly Piggy has a 120g. an its 5ft long.

This is what I would get if it was my 120g.

Lighting:A good set of T5 retro for a canopy if possible.No company makes 5' foot fixtures.They either come in 48''(too short) or 72''(too long).An Icecap with 6 bulbs/individual reflectors mounted inside a canopy.You could hang a 48'' fixture but the more light demanding corals will need to be kept from the ends.A Tek(6-8 bulbs),Aquaticnics Constellation(8 bulbs) or the ATI Powermodule(6-10 bulbs) all are 48'' fixtures.A MH/T5 fixture is another option.

Sump/fuge/skimmer:Go with one as big as possible.At least a 36'' long sump if the tank is 48'' long.48'' sump at least for a 60'' tank.Build your own and incorporate a refugium to save money.Lifereef and My Reef Creations make excellent sumps,refugiums and protein skimmers.They are less expensive sump companies out there so check on them as well.I believe Octopus skimmers has the best bang for the buck.Other good brands-Lifereef,ASM,Euro-Reef,MRC and I'm sure many more.

Others:
Caribbean Live sand at Drs. Foster and Smith
Uaniva live rock from Salltycritter.com($4 a lb+shipping).Best stuff I've ever seen.
Base live rock at Drs. Fosters and Smith($60+shipping)
Base rock at Marco rocks.com
3 Koralia model 3's
2-200w Visi-therm Stealth heaters.

I wish I could somehow copy Reeffreak's last post to keep for future planning. It's too bad I am too lazy to copy and paste, write it down, or bookmark it. I'd probably rather just ask him again when I need to start planning.

How about a pirate ship with bubbles and a skeleton and treasure chest....with bubbles. Congrats on the new tank please dont take my suggestion. Dont forget clown puke gravel.

A lot of people mentioned the use of T5 for lightning, but i would go for Metal Halides and do a retrofit, that way you build the canopy to the specs of your tank. I would use 2-250W Bulbs at the ends and a 175W in the middle, then all you would have to do is place the LPS lower in the tank, and the SPS higher. You could also add a couple actinics in order to give you a bit more of blue.

Is your tank drilled and reef ready? If it's not, i might look into that. I just recently got a Reef Ready tank and it's a beauty. Having all the equipment hidden is amazing, and the water is a lot clearer (for now).

As far as powerheads go, i would stick with either Hydor Koralia (#4) or Tunze.

Skimmer, if your tank is not Reef Ready i would go for the AquaC Remora Pro, really nice hang on skimmer if you get it with the right pump.

You should have a sump for a tank that size. If you do, get an Octopus skimmer for the sump.

I would choose MH lights over T5, if you have the money.

Back