ok been awhile since ive seen some so were is everyones updated tanks shots

Hahaha yote, we should trade tanks. I have so much coralline on my glass and equipment I can't see through it. Growing it on the rocks, on the other hand, that's a challenge for some reason!

keep your alk and ph up and coralline will grow like crazy...

Most peoples alkalinity is to low when coarlline doesn't do well.

Yep,,finally learned that. Also figured out why I couldnt keep my calcium above 380, I had a halimeda plant that I got off some rock. I decided I didnt like the way it looked and tossed it. Now my calcium has been at440 since monday. and my DKH is running right around 10 or 11.

I think my problem is that my two Sally Lightfoot Crabs eat it off of all my rocks. And today was the first time I've noticed this, but they've started lunging at my firefish!!!! :nono: :mad!!: Those critters are really hard (okay, impossible) to catch, so they'd better start behaving themselves! I'm hoping that all the coralline they're eating will fill them up so they leave my fish alone.

my problem was phosphate were high now there coming down and starting to get some coraline algae. Have to test get a test for alk though not sure were its at everything else is good phosphates still coming down slow.

Yeah I know! I've been feeding them separately once a week with tongs to make sure they don't get too hungry. Maybe eventually I'll be able to gain their trust and lure them into a trap with my tongs or something. For now, they're very skittish. I've had the two of them for a long time since they were little, and they've grown A LOT since then. They came in a reef cleaner crew package that I bought from E-Tropicals. I figured that if they were included in a cleaner package they'd be okay in my tank, right? Maybe not! They do an excellent job on the algae and detritis though, I've had much better results with them than with emerald crabs. But they are much more quick than emerald crabs (which would be no problem for me to catch if I had to).

Last edited:
Yeah, I did research on them. This is one animal where there's a lot of conflicting info out there. What I read is that they have to get pretty large before they'll start going after fish since they are generally algae and detritis eaters (Saltwater Fish, Corals, Invertebrates, Clams & Live Rock, www.liveaquaria.com). Then other websites (Home Page, CentralPets.com - All About Pets and Animals) said they only eat things that are already dead and are not aggressive towards other animals at all and that the idea that they kill fish only came about because they eat the animals that have already died (all the bristleworms in my tank just stood up and clapped...with their little pink hands...yeah). Then some websites make no mention at all of their predatory tendencies (Saltwaterfish.com - Saltwater Fish, Saltwater Fish Aquariums, Tropical Fish, and Saltwater Fish Tanks) and just talk about what great, peaceful additions they are to the tank. The carapice of my bigger one between the size of a nickel and a quarter, so he's getting up there. The two are not aggressive towards each other at all :beerchug: .

So no website seems to have the same info on this species. Mine do tend to be semi-aggressive towards fish (and they will chase a flashlight beam all over the tank, it's pretty cool).

Ok I know it took some time but here is my tank.

mytank001.jpg

This is my stand I made I hope you like it.
mytank003.jpg

mytank004.jpg

nice stand. I really want a new one i've got the AGA pine for my fifty and the doors are uneven. What kind of starfish is that in the upper right corner?

Thank for the compliment on the stand. The star is a chacolate chip star, I have had him for about 4 months and hasnt bothered a thing. I love that little guy.

That is a sharp looking setup. Caught my chocolate chip munching down on a fuzzy neon green mushroom one morning.Traded him for a sand sifting star after that.

Whats GSP? I feed him a piece of oyster on the half shell every 3 to 5 days or so. Thank yote I've got more rock to add but its in a seperate tank because of the algae prob.

Back