OK im getting some better lights!!What do you think?

roberttroy81

Ocean Fanatic
Im taking Biffs advice and getting some better lights.Its Between these
VHO 36" 442W Metal Halide Reef light Aquarium Lighting - (eBay item 110197785069 end time Nov-30-07 12:54:30 PST)
This looks perfect for my tank

Aqua Medic 250W Metal Halide Aquarium Lights!!! x3 - (eBay item 110197518146 end time Nov-27-07 21:46:22 PST)
I think this is too much light for a 45 gallon tank

Reef Aquarium Lighting: Ocean Light HQI Metal Halide Pendant Lights
Very expensive for two 250 watt lamps.

Tell me what you think.

The first one would be the best for your system. But read the fine print:

"Free items are not covered by insurance, but the replacement postage will be at buyers' expense. All sales final, no refund."

As for the other two, two or more 250 watt MH over your tank is way overkill. You have to think about heating issues.

Is your tank 36" long? Have you thought of going with T5s instead?

The first one is a no-name light isn't it? Stuff like that scares me cause its usually made in China. I am getting a 36" T5 nova extreme. Probably not as good as MH, but at least its domestic.

In my opinion, T5s are better for tanks of that size than MH. They don't heat up the water (which is so easy to do in a smaller tank like that), the cost a fraction, and you can still keep anything under them. Not to mention, my SPS grew like CA-RAY-ZAY under T5s whereas under MH they grow so sloooooow.

I bought this for my tank. It's 24" and has a remote. Plug it in--program the remote--forget about it.
Catalina Aquarium

Here is the 36" version with 6 bulbs.
Catalina Aquarium

They also make an 8 bulb version, but I don't think it comes with a remote. Call them. They might make one for you.
Catalina Aquarium

I'm really happy with my 6 bulb unit. I'm at 4.8w per gallon. I only have zoas, mushrooms and a few polyps. I do have one SPS acro up near the top and it is growing slowly. My purple mushroom jumped off it's rock and hid under a shelf. I guess it was too bright down there on the bottom of the tank, so it went looking for shade.

I agree about using T5 on smaller tanks. If you put MH on your 45g tank--I'd bet money you will have temp problems. They pack a lot of light for their size, but do you want to buy a chiller too?

Last edited:
Biffs right.You just cant beat a set of T-5s.
Less heat,less cost for replacment bulbs.And SPS will grow pretty dad gone fast.

I havent found any T5s that is 36" long with enough watts.Every light is like 4x39Watts.You think two of these 250 watt will be over kill Reef Aquarium Lighting: Ocean Light HQI Metal Halide Pendant Lights

I was thinking two 150 watts.Or what if i keep my coralife 192 watt on,move it up front and place one HQI in the back.If theres enough room.Hang it on the back,center it.Gives me another 150 or 250 watts more.My first thought was T5s,but just cant find enough watts from them.Unless you can find them for me.

I havent found any T5s that is 36" long with enough watts.Every light is like 4x39Watts.

We must have been typing at the same time. Go back to my last post and look at those lights. How does 8 T5s in a fixture sound?

Those have individual polished reflectors. They are good lights.

Your missing the picture with the T-5s.They give you nearly 3 times as much light per watt as halides do.
Watts is actually how much electricty the light uses.With T-5s you get a lot more light per watt.

OK nice links.Those 8 bulb 39 watts T5s look great.312 watts would give me almost 7 watts per gallon.WOW.Ok this is a rough decision.Sleep on it,The 6 bulb unit also looks good,6x39 watts,234 watts would give me little over 5 watts per gallon.I think i might go with the T5s 6 bulb.

I wasnt gonna get expensive lights at first,but i seen way to many cool corals i want that need better lighting.Gonna do this better do it right!!!!!!

You will be able to keep whatever you want under T5s. I kept an anemone for a long time, and those are probably the most light intensive animals you will be keeping.

With my T-5s,I'm getting 5.76 watts per gallon.And I got SPS,a clam,and an anemone that are all doing great.

Biff, your old lights were nova extremes weren't they? That's what I have coming in, but now I'm all nervous cause everyone talks about individual reflectors. It's what was in my budget though

Biff, your old lights were nova extremes weren't they? That's what I have coming in, but now I'm all nervous cause everyone talks about individual reflectors. It's what was in my budget though

My lights are Novas too,and dont have the individual reflectors.
The reflectors are great to have,but I dont think that they are a must have item to make the lights work.
You will be more than happy with the Novas you ordered.

I haven't been around long enough to know the difference between individual reflectors or a single common reflector. :shock:

I DO know that my light with individual reflectors is REALLY annoying when I'm trying to watch TV and the light gets in my eyes. :grumble: :mrgreen:

Back