OK...I'm taking the plunge!!!

I have a 10g sump, I haven’t got my system up and running yet, but the sump turned out good. I think that one day I will get a bigger tank for the sump, but for now I am happy with it. I would get your skimmer first before you make your sump to ensure that it will fit.

Attachments

• IMG00232.jpg
    IMG00232.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 195
Design for my 10g sump. Just don’t use the water filter in area, not enough room for it and the skimmer

Attachments

• SF-2.jpg
    SF-2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 188
Be careful if you decide to drill your tank. From reading different forums it seems like most 55gal are made of tempered glass and you cant drill them, it will just shatter. Other than that you seem to be on the right track. I'm doing my 125gal build and am slowly getting the parts together as I go. I didnt want to wait until I had everything, so slow and steady it is.

DO NOT drill the bottom panel....it is a 99.9% chance that it is tempered....I have my own crazy build going on,and 2 75's i have are not tempered SIDES,but the bottom is,,,good luck and have fun

If you do want to drill it and want to be sure, jsut buy a cheap pair of polarized sunglasses and look at all the sides of the tank, if any of the glass looks checkered or has a pattern on it, then it's tempered.

I'm not going to be drilling any of the tanks....I have no idea where they came from. I bought my 55 gal. from a guy on craigslist and the 10 gal I have had it forever. So i'm going to be safe and not drill.

Bifferwine--Thanks for the website...I'll be checking it out tonight.

troybuckle--Thanks for the design on your sump!!...Which skimmer did you buy and is it a good fit??

Hey, no problem. The sump is a tight fit, but I have everything fitting in there so far, and if I didn’t want to have a small fuge id have tons of room in it. The type of skimmer I have is a:
Reef Octopus Needlewheel NW-110 Protein Skimmer

DESCRIPTION:

Octopus Needlewheel NW-110 protein skimmer. Rated for 125 gallon aquarium. 21 inches tall. 4-1/2-inches in diameter. Includes model 1000 Octopus Turbine Pump with needle wheel impeller. Pumps 250 gph.

I got it for 170 + Shipping, but I saw them even cheaper in the USA, compared to here in Canada. It was what was recommended to me, good price to.

21 inches tall.
dont forget to double check that you have room to remove cup to empty and clean it. I almost bought a skimmer that I would not have been able to but would have still fit under my tank. Just a heads up

Back