ok is this normal for LR

jcegt87

Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!
okso as most of yall know hurricane made my tank go adios so after that i decied (because im to broke) not to restart it

so i put the LR in a cooler (big plastic cooler) it still had some water from the old tank in it, i had totally forgotten about it till a couple days ago when i walked to the back yard and it litterallyt smelled like:pooh::pooh: so im searching and find the cooler and OMG it was horrendous
now heres te weird thig when id had my tank setup i had the T5 teklight system 432W and it kindda killed all the color on the rocks well this cooler has BEEN closed for about 6-7 months with only 10% of itsubmerged with the nasty water from my old tank and guess freaking WHAT the damb CORALLINE looks like jewely BRIGHT GREEN DARK RED BEAUTIFL PURPLE WHY coldnt i have had THESE colors when i had the lighs :grumble::grumble:

and how in the heck did the coralline grown without beign fully submerged in water?:question::question:

Last edited:
Thats a good question JCE.I have no idea on that one.

i mean i know some type of corolline only grown in the DEEP DEEP sea that explains the color but it not beign fully submerge and no current blows my mind and here i tought it was base rock?

As long as its got bacteria living on it,its live.I'd about bet that theres still worms that are alive deep inside the rock too.
Maybe somebodies trying to tell you get another tank set up:D

Marine biologist have observed red coralline growing at 800 feet --there is very little to no light at that depth. They don't know why. You may have a genuine scientific mystery on your hands.

I've heard of people using T8 Actinic bulbs and growing coraline like crazy! then they slowly aclimate to higher light.

When I worked at Petco I had the LR tank growing coraline like crazy under PC's, for $5 per pound you got aquacultured fiji LR COATED in purple. pretty nice stuff.

Coralline algae (CA) can grow in environments with no light. Many people report an increase in CA when their lighting is low, and some have even suggested that the best way to kick start CA is to turn the lights off.

My question is this: I thought that CA growth was supposed to be the bell weather for good water parameters and required high-flow. Judging by your response, it would seem the opposite, and like any other algae, the stuff requires high nutrients over high flow.

Coralline is an algae,We cant dispute that.The corals we keep use zooxanthellae which is an algae.Cant dispute that either.Well,algae has to have nutrients to survive.I know JCEs cooler of rock has got to be pretty raunchy.
Then theres also the issue of the heat inside.I know that sun can cook you down there in Galvestion.
Seems like all the things we to keep from happening in our tanks,has made that coralline do great.
Yeah I'm confussed.

I've said over and over again that my coralline seems to grow better in areas that get little to no light. Like the inside of my skimmer - it's coated! And my sump, which is underneath the tank and gets ZERO light -- it's coated too! But no one ever believes me :cry:

I've said over and over again that my coralline seems to grow better in areas that get little to no light. Like the inside of my skimmer - it's coated! And my sump, which is underneath the tank and gets ZERO light -- it's coated too! But no one ever believes me :cry:

still dont believe you :D

but still its weeeird

Back