ok lets see i want lighting and basically i have no clue what i need

jcegt87

Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!
ey atleast im honest

so i have the almighty PC 260watt light with florecent lights and 4 led moonlights

but i do want some nice hard corals later on and as i have read i wont be able to with this kind of light so my question is WHAT exactly should i be looking for

ok example
mine are
260W divided by 75G =3.46WPG

these lights are (well the 48")
Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures

are 324W divided by my 75G only equals 4.32WPG

with a diff of only .86WPG does it really make that much difference?

these are T5 mine are PC

so i guess what equactly am i looking for when im shopping for lights

whats a good WPG ratio that i need?????

im confused now

LAMEST TERMS PLEASE yes im slow lol and even then i will still prob read it 3 or 4 times trying to figure out what yall are trying to tell me
:bowdown::bowdown:

COMEDY.gif

Last edited:
T5 lights are more intense than PC. You can actually use LESS wattage with T5 and get the same or better light penetration.

I bought a set of these about 6 months ago and love them. They are for my 24" tank.
Catalina Aquarium

You could get any of these for a 48" tank.
6 lights:
Catalina Aquarium

8 lights:
Catalina Aquarium

This has 6 lights and moonlights with a remote. I have the remote and love it. I don't fuss with my lights. Set the remote and forget about it. Never have to flip a switch or ANYTHING. Set the remote and leave it lying on a table close to the tank so that the "eye" can talk to the light unit. Done.
Catalina Aquarium

Yes it will make a HUGE difference. My friend has that nova extreme pro 6 bulb on his 75 and its a great fixture, I'm going to get a nova extreme pro 72" when I get my 125, they are amazing fixtures. The T5 bulbs are a lot better than compact flourescent bulbs for many scientific reasons that I dont really know, other than T5 > CF any day of the week. Especially with the individual reflectors. With that nova extreme pro on a 75g I cant forsee anything you cant keep in your tank... anyone else think of anything?

I'm running the regular Nova Extreme T-5s on my 75.I got an anemone and a bunch of high light SPS corals.Granted I got 8 bulbs burning 432 watts of electricity.

I'm going to have to copy and paste my old comments so I don't have to type this over and over.T5-HO bulbs have nearly twice the PAR(photosynthetic active radiation)then CF bulbs.So think of the Nova Pro as giving you twice the light that your PC fixture is putting out.You would be unlimited on corals,clams and anemones with the Nova Pro.Stay with soft and LPS corals with the PC.

At least you dont have to think about it too much Reef, you should just add it to your signature....haha, thank you Reef for all the lighting help you give to all of us dumbass noobs.

I agree with reeffreak. If your happy with LPS coral, leathers and soft corals, mush room and the like just stay with your present lights, you should get good results. The differences with those corals would doubtfully make up for the replacement lighting system regardless opf what type of system you switched too. However if your thinking of getting into SPS then it depends on the seriousness in SPS, as a 75 gallon tank is at that point where it is considered a deep tank and typically is only considered good for SPS in the top 12 inches (some would say as deep as 18 inches) of the tank when lit by T-5 systems. Halides are considered the norm for over 18 inch and preferential for 12 or deeper when growing out frags with any level of seriousness. T-5's are still not considered deep water high intensity lighting, and that does limit them in your tank if you wish to place SPS corals at the bottom of your tank.

Back