OK Need help here How the heck can i drill plastic and glass

janey

Reefing newb
I have another Tank
that i need to drill holes , but the first piece is plexi and behind it is glass.???

Its a custom 65 that i had for the longest. And i'm taking my 30 n transfering all to it .
I need to drill 4 holes..

Here's a pic of the front
the black part is plexi
Tankproject005.jpg

Tankproject002.jpg

i had bio- ball and took them all out .
I'm gonna do a refugium . but gotta cut a pieces of plexi or glass to the left side

backwholes.jpg

moreholes.jpg

how it looked before , mind you i bought this from aomeone in 1992
Never set it up. and now i'm ready but need help here too..
Tankproject011.jpg

You might try a wood/metal hole saw for the plexiglass, but that might not work. I'd try it on a test piece not part of the tank first. Ehh, try and find a shop to drill the glass, I'd hate to see you ruin your tank from a slip up (it can happen to anyone I'm sure, especially a first timer). I tried drilling an old 10gal just for kicks and I broke 3 panels on 3 attempts. Looks like a fun project though.

My 1st question is what are you trying to accomplish. That diagram and setup looks overly complicated to me. Seems like it's turning a small job into a big project.

Where in the Pocono's are you? I'm right outside Wilkes-Barre. I have a diamond glass hole bit for drilling 1" bulkheads.

a regular hole saw works for acrylic......... if you want the hole super clean you need to keep removing the hole saw and cleaning the plastic out of it..... if the tank weren't assembled already it would be a lot easier on a drill press...

drilling glass is fairly easy..... nervous the first time.... make sure the tank isn't tempered or you'll shatter it...

turn the tank so the back is up........ mark your holes.... build a dam around the hole with putty... and put 1/2" of water in the dam.... start drilling...... don't press...... let the drill do the work......

Back