ok need help with lighting

912jake

Reefing newb
Ok so ive got my new 30 gal tank setup with the fish in it now. However the tank just has a regular flourescent light over top of it and i would like to get something better but also dont wanna break the bank. I looked at some Coralife aqualight dual T5 high output lights but read somewhere on here that it would be best to do 4 lights instead of the two over a 30 gal, the tank will just be live rock and fish for now, if i can get a light that will allow some coral i may do that in the future but its not in the plans as of now. So im looking for a good inexpensive lighting system to put over my tank, say no more than 250 or 300 bucks. I also want the whole system not just bulbs because the tank has a full hood over it and i do not have a sump so my skimmer is a hang on and i had to notch out the back of the hood to clear the skimmer so it doesnt really fit on the tank flush, although i assure you its in no danger of falling in a electrocuting everything in the tank. i would like a light that would allow for some coral if there is one in my price range but i have NO issue with keeping it just live rock and fish for now. Thanks in advance for any advice i know this was a little long winded.

i would check out the novapros but with a hood you will need to find a retrofit light unit the full fixture will not fit in the hood very well i had a catalina light that worked out great

Catalina Aquarium

well im looking for a fixture that will allow me to do away with the hood completely, the only reason it is on there is because i had no other options at the time, and i was to impatient to wait on a new light setup before i started cycling my tank.

You dont have to wait on new lights to cycle.:D
Just look for a T-5 fixture with individual reflectors that will give at least 4 bulbs over your tank.

Also, if you are just planning on keeping fish, the lighting doesnt matter. You can use the time to do research on corals, get used to doing the maintanance, and most importantly saving up for the lights.

But the 2-300 dollar range is very doable for lighting for a 30 gallon.

Coralife Aqualight Dual T5 Lamp High Output Fixture Details

ok so that is what i was looking at the 30" is only 130 bucks. I want this light mainly so i can do away with the hood i have now. So since there will not be coral in this tank then this light will be just fine even though it only has 2 bulbs, or should it have 4 bulbs thats where im confused.

Right now this 30 gal tank is what im using to get myself into the hobby and familiar with everything, so for awhile it will just be fish and live rock, i plan on building a house in the next few years and there will be a tank incorporated in to that a rather large one hopefully. And then i will start messing with coral although i am already researching and learning about them.

If all you are keeping is fish, that light will work fine. The only light they need is enough for you to look at them. You could even put some non photosynthetic corals in there. If you do want to keep corals, I would save up for one with 4 bulbs with individual reflectors. No use spending 130 bucks then a few months down the road spending 300 bucks on new lights. Also, 30" lights are PITA to find. You might need to get a hanging kit for a 24" light and hang it from the ceiling above your tank.

AquaticLife 30" T5 HO 4 Lamp Fixture with Lunar Lights

Well i found that one and it has 4 bulbs and is 30", i rent an apartment right now so hanging something from the ceiling wouldnt go over well lol. I think i may just go ahead and go with this one according to lighting chart on that website with this light i would be able to keep corals, my main reason for not keeping corals in this tank is the cost of lighting however 260.00 doesnt seem to be to bad of a deal if this light would do the trick.

It also has Lunar lights and im unsure what the benefit or purpose of these lights are. Are they turned on at night or are they used with the other lights, a little explanation of their purpose would be very much appreciated.

Lunar lights are little LEDs that come on at night. It just gives the tank a moon light looking appearance and lets you actually see things.

But that light should work good

Well thanks very much for all the help now that i know i can afford lighting for some coral I may do some more reasearch and have a go at em sooner than i thought. The tank needs to be established for awhile though before introducing any coral into it though right?

Any idea as to which would be a better light for a tank with a few corals?

Oh and on a side note the top of my tank from outside of the rim to out side of rim is 30 1/4" so is a 30" light what I would need?

Any idea as to which would be a better light for a tank with a few corals?

Oh and on a side note the top of my tank from outside of the rim to out side of rim is 30 1/4" so is a 30" light what I would need?

The Nova extremes and the Aquatic Life fixture you linked to are about the same.Both have a single parabolic reflector with 4 bulbs.Neither comes in 30'' lengths though.You will have to move up to the 36'' fixture.

This is your best bet for a 30'' T5 fixture.It has individual reflectors,4 bulbs and moonlights.

T-5 HO Aquarium Lighting: Current Sundial T-5 Canopy Light Fixtures

You would need a 30 inch light.

You could also get one of these:
150W Metal Halide Pendant Lights

That would allow you to keep anything you wanted.

Those would be great but it doesnt seem as if they would light my entire tank seeing as it seems to be a rather small unit. so would i end up with dark areas on the sides of my tank or would it provide enough light for the whole tank?

The Nova extremes and the Aquatic Life fixture you linked to are about the same.Both have a single parabolic reflector with 4 bulbs.Neither comes in 30'' lengths though.You will have to move up to the 36'' fixture.

This is your best bet for a 30'' T5 fixture.It has individual reflectors,4 bulbs and moonlights.

T-5 HO Aquarium Lighting: Current Sundial T-5 Canopy Light Fixtures

Reeffreak: Ok so both the Aquatic Life and Nova extreme fixtures said they were avalible in 30" on the website so am i missing something because you said they werent avalible in 30"? However the ones your linked to me do seem to be a better T5 light anyway not to mention cheaper so thanks a bunch for that.

Also between the 2 links both of you posted which would serve my needs the best? Im leaning twoards the T5 light mainly because of the lunar lights timer fans and that it seems like it would light up the tank better, although i have no experience with either of these lights so for all i know they could light up the tank equally well. I should also be able to keep coral with either light as well correct?

I know its long winded but i want to make sure i get the right equipment the first time around and seeking information from people who have been in the hobby for awhile is the best way to do just that. So bear with me while i learn and thanks again for all the help so far.

Those would be great but it doesnt seem as if they would light my entire tank seeing as it seems to be a rather small unit. so would i end up with dark areas on the sides of my tank or would it provide enough light for the whole tank?

That would light your whole tank. That's a metal halide, which is a different type of light than a T5. With a metal halide bulb, light spreads out in about a 1 foot radius in each direction from the bulb (projected downward).

Ok I knew they were a different light but didnt know they light would spread like that, so that eases my concerns on that. Any thoughts on which light would be better? Or is it just a matter of opinion at this point? The T5 setup seems to have alot included in it so it seems to me that if i could keep what i wanted with either setup that would be the way to go.

Back