ok so i have the water ready, now what

jcegt87

Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!
ok so i bought the water and its ready to be put in the tank

its not saltwater yet do i mix in the tank or in a bucket i have API aquarium salt is that good

do i buy the live rock now or until the tank cycles for a week can i place the live sand in now or wait and buy that later too:^:

Since you dont have anything in there yet,go a head and mix it in the tank.
Add the salt slowly and let it mix tonight.Tomorrow,check your salinity to make sure its between 1.023 to 1.026 and adjust as needed.
Then put in your live sand and rock.The rock will probably get your cycle started.

The only API salt that I have seen is for goldfish, not for a saltwater tank.

go ahead and add the sand and rock now. it will start another cycle all over again when you add the rock and sand. come to think of it, it may not cycle without one of the other. there wouldn't be anything in there for the bacteria to build on.

API salt is not good, you need instant ocean, oceanic, reef crystals....something specifically for saltwater aquariums. Add rock first, add sand around rock. Mix the salt and water, let it dissolve and add to tank. It will be very cloudy for a few days, I just let my powerhead and filter run without any cartridges in the filter for the entire period of the cycle.

ok so what salt would be a best buy and also which live rock and live sand would be good

any good websites for these

Last edited:
Every body has their favorite salt,so you'll get a lot of different oppinions there.But I like Kent Marine and Oceanic.
As for sand.Stay away from crushed coral.It'll look like crap after a couple of months.About any aragonite sand will work.
For the live rock,Get what you like the most on that.

They got a great price on it.I dont anything about that company though.
As long as they havnt let the rock set on a warehouse floor and dry out,it'd be good.

Never ordered from them. A lot of people get their rock from Dr Fosters and Smith. Also check out Tampa Bay they only deliver to the nearest airport. What does your LFS have?

Honestly,you should read the helpful articles at the top of the page and pick up a good marine book like ''The Conscientious Marine Aquarist''.Research and learn as much as you can before jumping into this hobby.You almost started with the wrong salt which is very basic.If you didn't know API salt was for a different application,you are not ready and will just fall flat on your face.Sorry,if that sounds rude but it wasn't meant to be.

Back