ok.. something is not right..

Dinos look kinda like red slime algae; rusty brownish/reddish, and they carpet the sand and rocks like red slime. The difference is dinos usually have strings or strands coming up from it, with bubbles in the strands. It looks like strands of snot. They are very responsive to light and there can be no sign of them when you turn the lights on, but within an hour or two, the whole tank is overtaken by them. Then when you turn the lights off, they go away.

Dinos look kinda like red slime algae; rusty brownish/reddish, and they carpet the sand and rocks like red slime. The difference is dinos usually have strings or strands coming up from it, with bubbles in the strands. It looks like strands of snot. They are very responsive to light and there can be no sign of them when you turn the lights on, but within an hour or two, the whole tank is overtaken by them. Then when you turn the lights off, they go away.

Good, I seriously doubt I have that... and my last order of CUC is doing well.. and my lavender tang eats the algae and is healthy and fat.

Baeya... thank you, sis.

Everyone is so helpful...

-randy-

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

The river rocks are gone... AND this tank has never been so crystal clear.

I did not do the acrylic peg thing.. BECAUSE it is a great way to frag LR. So the tank is done in the traditional stack so they lock method.

Now I can purchase some tiny various test frags to see if that was it... I'm betting it was.

I'm running the GFO and carbon today to help clean what ever out.

Last edited:
I'm betting that's what it was too. But I would wait a couple of water changes before buying frags just so that whatever the river rocks were leaching can work its way through your system

I'm betting that's what it was too. But I would wait a couple of water changes before buying frags just so that whatever the river rocks were leaching can work its way through your system

Absolutely.. will do a water change tonight and another on Thursday.. got to get that crap out of my tank!
.... which reminds me.. I need to get a tub of salt... I'm thinking this time to spring for Red Sea Reef .. any comments?

Last edited:
Good to hear!!!! I am hoping that this is the fix for you. I have never used redsea salt so I dunno about that. I have used reefcrystals for years but my fish guy talked me into trying Seachem reef salt...so far I like how it dissolves.

Good to hear!!!! I am hoping that this is the fix for you. I have never used redsea salt so I dunno about that. I have used reefcrystals for years but my fish guy talked me into trying Seachem reef salt...so far I like how it dissolves.

I'll be curious to hear how the Seachem reef works for you - that's what I use and it seems like the latest batch is crap. At this point I'm thinking of switching to aquavitro salinity - a higher end seachem product that tests each batch of salt and gives you what the parameters should be right out of the bucket.

I'll be curious to hear how the Seachem reef works for you - that's what I use and it seems like the latest batch is crap. At this point I'm thinking of switching to aquavitro salinity - a higher end seachem product that tests each batch of salt and gives you what the parameters should be right out of the bucket.

The bucket before the one I'm finishing up now was Seachem... I liked it but am gun shy from the stories... .. .. of coarse... this is the web..... sometimes such stories are manufactured by sales staff of a company to scare market share away form a rival.. so who knows where the truth lies... I'm watching for a review statement from a forum member.... that we can trust.

I've liked the seachem up to this point, and I believe this is also the salt that Fast uses and recommends. But it seems like this most recent bucket I got is different. I don't know what you've read elsewhere on the web, but I had heard good things about it when I initially decided to go with it. Perhaps more recent opinions aren't as positive...

Glad to hear the tank is looking better Pok, that lava rock and river rock is bad freaking news.

Fishy did you ever give the company a call or write them an email? Since you have been having so many problems I would be raising hell (might be the hormones lol) with them myself.

Coming from someone else that's recently gone through some frustrating tank stuff, I have nothing to add here, other than I think you're on the right track and you'll eventually be happy you decided to stick with it :D

So far the seachem salt has been great. I asked my lfs about it also. This is the salt he uses for the water he sells and he tests it constantly. He hasnt seen any issue. He does sell a :pooh: load of salt so it never is on the "shelf" very long. I dont know if that matters much but I know I have seen the same bucket of reef crystals at petsmart for months. I know its the same one cause I marked it.....was just curious....

So far the seachem salt has been great. I asked my lfs about it also. This is the salt he uses for the water he sells and he tests it constantly. He hasnt seen any issue. He does sell a :pooh: load of salt so it never is on the "shelf" very long. I dont know if that matters much but I know I have seen the same bucket of reef crystals at petsmart for months. I know its the same one cause I marked it.....was just curious....

Is why when you buy you need to roll and tumble it.. no matter where you get it or what brand. I settles, I'm told.

I did my first change since my river rock removal this evening. Tests look good. My alk was high but it was because I messed up the part 1 & 2... it was easy to correct. had forgotten the part 1 because of a phone call.

About the only thing I buy for my tank at Pet Smart is a Vortex MP10, because they are the only place that stocks it for $235. You can get one for that on-line but then you pay shipping. .. I do buy frozen mice for my snake there.

I believe in supporting the local LFSs.. so they will be there .... we have a new one and I intend to make them my main store.. and build a relationship with them.

Also, they have a variety of small frags for $10.. which are a perfect test to see if my tank has turned the corner. If/when they make it.... I'm all in... Katie bar the door!

Last edited:
Re checked the Alk this AM and after dosing cal last evening to fix my "forgot to".. it was good. Also, the Ph was just a little high but was right on this AM.
... BTW.. this is the FIRST time my Alk has not been high in this tank.

.... THAN DAMNED RIVER ROCK... and me for putting it in..(but back then I dn't know better).

I'm..... completely EXCITED now !!... STROKED :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Hey Pok, you really shouldn't be dosing your tank unless you have it heavily stocked with corals (and I know you don't). Why are you dosing?

Hey Pok, you really shouldn't be dosing your tank unless you have it heavily stocked with corals (and I know you don't). Why are you dosing?

only because my calc was low... and now I know that was because of the river rock pulling it down... it is right now.. so won't be dosing unless they need it..

............ specifically....I meant to dose calc after the river rock was removed to bring it up one more time.. and put the wrong damned part in. So.. I had to dose calc again... all is in check now....and Bet it stays that way...LOL..

Last edited:
Up date:
I've done three water changes since removing "the rocks". I have placed some small $10 frags of various kinds in a small frag rack at the bottom of my tank.. they are "coming around". Each time I make a water change things get better. Plus... (now...THIS took me by surprise)... this afternoon during the water change I was just a little slow to shut off the tank supply and returns so the sump got a couple of inches low in the last stage where the return pump lives... Well, then I could tell it was leaking at the pressure outlet. So, that was a perfect chance to pull it and fix the reason.. the person I purchased this tank and sump from had used a BRASS fitting between the pump and the fitting I put my clear plastic hose on. .. BRASS... geeeze.. you can bet that is gone now... the outside was plastic coated so I didn't know or I would of chunked it day one.

Some better after each water change means: At first the test batch of frags refused to open, after the second water change some peeked out and some others opened about half way. I won't know about the third water change results until tomorrow AM.

After some exchanges in posts with Wade I now know my RapidLEDs are not a problem.. I didn't think they were but, everything is suspect... He is running 3 watts of Cree LEDs per gallon.. I'm running 2.17 watts per gallon. He was not getting coral life with 1.5 watts of blue and 1.5 watts of white per gallon so changed out half his whites for UVs which resulted in healthy coral.. this is an important lesson. I am running blue, white, and UV..(& a couple reds and greens .. useless) and may switch some off for more UV latter.. after some more control time.

So when the lights come on in the AM we will see what taking out the brass and doing a water change does for my coral frags. Interesting enough my button mushrooms have plugged along steady the whole time.

Thanx for listening.. and for all the help.
-randy-

Last edited:
Back