Ok to add another fish/rock?

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Well I had planned on adding my third fish to my tank tomorrow but have a touch of nitrates in the tank. My test readings:

Ammonia - .25 (Not very clear, it always shows this reading, may be none)
Nitrates - 5
Nitrites - 0
Ph - 8.2
Salinity - 1.025
Phosphate - 0
Calcium - 520
Kh - 10-12 dKH

I want to add just another fish but may also add rock if I decide I want to get some.

Added my last fish on the 11th.

Last edited:
If your test is showing ammonia, do NOT add another fish to the tank. Figure out if your test is bad, or where the ammonia is coming from.

How long has your tank been set up, has it fully cycled yet?

I use the API liquid tests and I have always gotten the same result excluding a couple times during early cycling. I had one of the quick cycles where my levels never really spiked. I have two fish in it now and got them both two weeks ago and both are fine and healthy looking and also have a couple emerald crabs, some hermits and three snails and I haven't had anything die yet. I had my water tested by the LFS before I put my first fish is and they showed perfect levels. At the same time I was getting the same ammonia reading that I get now. I think with saltwater, you won't get the coloration of 0 ammonia. I never have. I actually made a post on these forums about never getting a clear 0 reading for ammonia and someone told me that I may never get a 100% 0 reading so that's why I am pretty sure I have 0.

I use the API liquid tests and I get a 0 reading for Ammonia. I would still have the LFS double check your results before adding anything to the tank

Do you use the freshwater or saltwater card? I just found a link to the comparisons and it looks like there is a difference in the two and my color looks like the 0 on the saltwater card. And I think what would show .25 or even .5 would read as 0 on the saltwater card. Either way, My color of test isn't green at all like what shows as .25 on the saltwater card.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5837&stc=1&d=1202336290

If its a saltwater tank, you use the saltwater chart.

I would also still wait a couple more weeks before you add another fish, minimum of waiting at least one more. You need to move slow when you first start.

I would say if you are going to add rock not to add the fish until the you know the new rock wont cause a mini cycle.

My nitrates have been about 5-10 and I have added fish about 1 every couple weeks and they are all happy.

What size is the tank and how long has it been set up?

Well I wouldn't add rock and a fish at the same time cause I know that's a lot on a tank let alone a newish one like mine. It's a 75 gallon and I started it on 1/19/11 and added my first couple fish and small cuc on 2/11/11. So a total of 37 days.

The girls have you covered. No fish for a couple weeks man, be patient. Go ahead and add the rock, but test your water every other day at least to make sure your nutrients are not spiking.

Well I wouldn't add rock and a fish at the same time cause I know that's a lot on a tank let alone a newish one like mine. It's a 75 gallon and I started it on 1/19/11 and added my first couple fish and small cuc on 2/11/11. So a total of 37 days.

I know its hard, I want a new fish every day but its better and safer for the fish (and your wallet) if you just wait a wee bit longer.

Every time I get an itch for a new creature I just buy a mushroom or small coral instead. It satisfies my itch to get something new and I get little puffs of color on the rocks.

I'm just about to order my light, then I can drop in some corals. I have a light on it but not near good enough for corals. Until then, looks like just rock for now :(. I'm too impatient! I think I just need something new in the tank. The blenny swims around enough but the foxface most of the time, although he is getting less shy, still doesn't move around enough to satisfy me. Maybe after the rock and getting my light I'll get me a coral or two.

Back