okay wtf???

if in fact your tank is 5 months old and you have some brown bloomage in the tank, especialy all over the sand. you have a Diatom bloom happeing, very normal for newer tanks to do this from time to time. a good CUC will work the sand and rock surface to remove a lot of it. once your tank settles in itl go away on its own. as long as your tank perameters are normal its just a tank "phase" everyone goes through

have a quick read here if yould like to about it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatom

actually its 7 months now havent updated sorry..my nitrates are little high.but doing water changes every 2 weeks 10 percent.i have another post where i posted a pic. can u look at it and tell me what ya think..

I get that crap everday. I have 4 powerheads, prob. 20 snails, 2 conch's, water is good, and it still comes everyday. I think its this carbon fuel I've been using. I just rake it everyday to make it look better, it'll be back tomorow.

I just put new phospates bags in on Saturday. Just keep raking?? Will this eventually go away? I guess I'm concerned that something is taking over. The water looks cloudy and it smells.

well i just checked aka "flamey" a the scallop he's okay....i think it was my sock. that was bubbling up to the top...lfs told to change it once a week?...lol

This is the wife calling out to the Saltwater Tank Gods!!!!

My house stinks!!!! I can't handle it for much longer. I googled this morning and I think we have Red Slime Algae (Cyanobacteria). The pictures look just like what we have in our tank. Anyone else had this problem? And what with the smell? My candles only mask so much...good grief. I thought we had dead fish or something. Everyone is alive and thriving but the smell....(I can think of a good song right now). Please help us. I just sent hubby to the LFS with some of the water.

Flats Wife

I'm no expert. But I have some experience with cyano and diatoms.

I would run a decent amount of carbon filtration. Carbon absorbs dissolved organics which smell and can cause cloudiness.

Water quality needs to be scrutinized. If you have Cyano, red slimy spots that release bubbles, and it's on a rock that can be removed without jacking everything up, I would pull it out and scrub it with a toothbrush under RO water or old tank water.

Last edited:
did you add anything recently? if its a really bad smell, it should be from bacteria and that should mean something is rotting in your aquarium. maybe not from fish, but it could be from other organisms that died.

I'm no expert. But I have some experience with cyano and diatoms.

I would run a decent amount of carbon filtration. Carbon absorbs dissolved organics which smell and can cause cloudiness.

Water quality needs to be scrutinized. If you have Cyano, red slimy spots that release bubbles, and it's on a rock that can be removed without jacking everything up, I would pull it out and scrub it with a toothbrush under RO water or old tank water.

Ok, sounds like a plan. I also considered cleaning the rocks and the LFS advised us to take the power heads and point them at the rocks to blow off the algae. I can handle the algae and do what we need to do to get rid of it but the smell is killing me. I will call my hubby and tell him about the carbon filtration. Thanks

did you add anything recently? if its a really bad smell, it should be from bacteria and that should mean something is rotting in your aquarium. maybe not from fish, but it could be from other organisms that died.

We've only added snails in the past week or so. I have read numerous posts here in the last hour or so and I think we need to add more power heads. We only have 2 #4's (I think-hubby would know better) and I think we need more. I read where Yote has a total of 8 in his 125. Do you think we need more?

i would think so, but i think your problem goes deeper than just power heads. hopefully your LFS will help find the root of the problem but i think something could be rotting in your sand or rocks if its not your fish. good luck. ill go and do some research to help you out.

Back