Old lady learning new tricks.... :)

fishmom

Certified Hospice Nurse
:sfish:
Hello to everyone--I am certainly new to this and I come looking for some truly helpful advice and information. I have a 55 gallon saltwater (w/ live rock) tank we purchased from a friend. It came with minimal live rock and a few fish. The tank also arrived with a bottom full of nasty crushed coral that hadn't been cleaned/cared for in ages....
I am here hoping to find a friendly group of people with great advice. I joined another forum needing help/advice and was embarrassed by my lack of knowledge ashamed to admit that I/we (hubby and self) jumped into this so easily. I will post again soon outlining our past 48 hours and the disaster that has occured.
Looking forward to spending time with you folks and learning a few "new tricks". Please, be gentle.:bowdown:

P.S. Happy Thanksgiving!!!! "I'm gonna go do some cooking............."

Congrats on the pick up!!!!! Nothing better than getting in an expenxive hobby for cheap.!!!!

Go ahead and ask away here.

Ha ha ha........I had an idea what I might be getting into.......but NO CLUE as to how quickly addictive it could become....

Before this first disaster we were already browsing craigslist looking for something bigger!!! **duh**

Welcome to the site!!

My best advice is to take your time with things; adding fish and coral until you know you water parameters are all balanced.

You say you have crushed coral? Have you changed it out to something different?

Welcome to LR! I'm quite new myself, and have learned a TON from everyone here. And don't worry, I've asked some pretty dumb things, and they don't treat me any differently (at least I think...) :D

I also have a 55, and recently purchased a 180 Gallon...I CAN NOT wait to get it up and running. This hobby is addictive...much like tattoos and piercings! Hahah

Hello and welcome! We are glad to have you. Don't be embarrassed about asking questions that you think are dumb. We've all been there and everyone is so helpful. I've learned so much in the last year but still feel like a newbie! It's an ongoing learning process.

Welcome to the site!!

My best advice is to take your time with things; adding fish and coral until you know you water parameters are all balanced.

You say you have crushed coral? Have you changed it out to something different?
From the beginning I have wanted that coral OUT....that is the OCD cleaner in me-----but did know enough not to do that too soon until i learned more and more about water conditions and such. Knew the process would likely kill everything.
Since everything has now died (over the past 48 hours)....I am perfectly happy to sit tight...learn some more....get rid of the mess and start "fresh".
Any suggestions? I really think sand is "prettier" (daughter has sand in her tank) but want advice from you guys. I really want what is best for the system......

Welcome to the site and the hobby.
It sounds like moving the tank has probably kicked off a cycle.That can and does happen.
Since your fish died,I'd go ahead and remove the crushed coral and add the sand.That way your not risking another cycle when you get more fish.Just buy enough dry aragonite sand to cover the bottom and rinse it out good to remove the dust.

Hello and welcome to the site...we're glad to have you. Ask any question you may have, that's why we're here...to help each other. :)

Welcome to the site and the hobby.
It sounds like moving the tank has probably kicked off a cycle.That can and does happen.
Since your fish died,I'd go ahead and remove the crushed coral and add the sand.That way your not risking another cycle when you get more fish.Just buy enough dry aragonite sand to cover the bottom and rinse it out good to remove the dust.

Okay--first question: When stirring up all that :pooh: (sorry--just a cute smiley) when I remove the coral.....Will it harm the live rock? My hubs wants to put the live rock in a bucket of prepared water to keep "stuff" from settling on them. PS....over 25 pounds of "new" live rock.

+1 Yote

Sorry to hear you lost everything. But like yote said you should remove the crushed coral and replace it with argonite sand, I've always gone with 1lb/gal. And make sure you rinse the new sand with RO water.

What other equipment do you have? We can help recommend things you may, or may not, need. Also, many LFS (Local Fish Stores) will try to sell you anything your looking at even when they know it may be detrimental to the animal or your tank in general. So study up on stuff before you buy :)

+1 Yote

What other equipment do you have? :)

55 gallon tank w/cover (trying to be specific)
Rena FilStar canister filter xP3
maxiJet 1200 (is that the "powerhead?--
--doesn't feel like there is a heavy flow from it
not like I see at the LFS
Heater: have no idea brand name
It is a hollow tube where the water from
the tank is pulled in and passed to the filter
Has a temp dial at top....
Light:"Reef Sun 50/50"
Would like to do some simple, easy corals eventually.

Test kit:Red Sea Marine Lab
Tests for: pH, Alk, NH3/NH4 (ammonia),NO2 (nitrites), NO3 Nitrates
Is there any "easier" test process--I don't mind the time--having trouble
with color comparisson--and the nitrate has a "high range/low range-*confusing*),
and nitrate instr has an "if" scale: "If a nitrite level higher thean 0.1ppm is present see the table below......"

Thanks in advance for your help.....:bowdown:

Okay--first question: When stirring up all that :pooh: (sorry--just a cute smiley) when I remove the coral.....Will it harm the live rock? My hubs wants to put the live rock in a bucket of prepared water to keep "stuff" from settling on them. PS....over 25 pounds of "new" live rock.

Naw.It wont hurt the live rock.
Just place the rock in a bucket,cooler,or something where you can keep it wet with saltwater.Remove the crushed coral,then place the rock back in the tank.You may want to pick up some dry base rock to use a foundation before you start,that way the live rock dont get burried.Place the foundation rock right on the bottom glass,add the sand and spread it around the foundation,the add the live and do your aquascaping.
If the the rock is sitting on top of the sand,the water flow and critters will eventually cause it to shift and create a rockslide that could bust the glass.

55 gallon tank w/cover (trying to be specific)
Rena FilStar canister filter xP3
maxiJet 1200 (is that the "powerhead?--
--doesn't feel like there is a heavy flow from it
not like I see at the LFS
Heater: have no idea brand name
It is a hollow tube where the water from
the tank is pulled in and passed to the filter
Has a temp dial at top....
Light:"Reef Sun 50/50"
Would like to do some simple, easy corals eventually.

Test kit:Red Sea Marine Lab
Tests for: pH, Alk, NH3/NH4 (ammonia),NO2 (nitrites), NO3 Nitrates
Is there any "easier" test process--I don't mind the time--having trouble
with color comparisson--and the nitrate has a "high range/low range-*confusing*),
and nitrate instr has an "if" scale: "If a nitrite level higher thean 0.1ppm is present see the table below......"

Thanks in advance for your help.....:bowdown:

Ditch the canister and get yourself a good protein skimmer.Either a hang on back or if you want to add a sump,an in-sump model.Either one will work.With the canister you'll need to be anal about cleaning it on at least a weekly basis to keep from compromising water quality.It can be used for when you need to run some carbon though.Just not good for constant everyday use.
Also get some flow going.I'd add at least 3 more powerheads.Or you could add 2 of the higher flow pumps,something like the koralia #4s.Water flow is the life of your tank.It keeps the waste in suspension long enough for the skimmer to remove it.It also helps with gas exchange.
Thats a Rena heater.It'll work and they are decent heaters.We use them at the LFS I help at.
For most of testing,I use the API test kits.Mainly because they are decent for the price.However I do keep a couple of the more expensive kits on hand just in case something seems to be off.

For most of testing,I use the API test kits.Mainly because they are decent for the price.However I do keep a couple of the more expensive kits on hand just in case something seems to be off.

Thank you--great advice....I had serious questions about the condition of the filter just looking at the coral crap and all. Scared to death to try and "clean" the thing.....
On the question of testing: What other test kits should I have? I hear about testing for other things and want to learn what is truly useful--and easy to understand.

P.S. I really am doing some cooking in the background...hahahahaha. :D

Hello and welcome! I'm glad you found us.

Definitely switch out that crushed coral for sand. You will be infinitely happier with its look, and the water will stay cleaner.

Everyone else is spot on with their advice. Get a protein skimmer instead of the filter, and get more powerheads for water movement.

Switching out the substrate will not hurt the rock.

You will need to upgrade lights before you can keep corals.

Thank you--great advice....I had serious questions about the condition of the filter just looking at the coral crap and all. Scared to death to try and "clean" the thing.....
On the question of testing: What other test kits should I have? I hear about testing for other things and want to learn what is truly useful--and easy to understand.

P.S. I really am doing some cooking in the background...hahahahaha. :D

Start with testing with the basics.Ammonia,nitrite,and nitrate.Once the the ammonia and nitrites are at 0,then you can start looking at things like PH,alkalinity,and calcium.Magnesium is another one thats helpful.

Since your cooking.What time do we need to show up for supper? :D

Start with testing with the basics.Ammonia,nitrite,and nitrate.Once the the ammonia and nitrites are at 0,then you can start looking at things like PH,alkalinity,and calcium.Magnesium is another one thats helpful.

Since your cooking.What time do we need to show up for supper? :D

Actually--"the meal" will be tomorrow--1pm at my brother's house....I'm SURE they would love to have you. I am eager to invite EVERYONE because I will be working and they can deal with all the stress and mess. I am merely fixin' a few "side dishes" and relaxing after that.....

Thanks (again) for all the info.....

P.S. What about "phosphorus"--heard some chat about checking that....maybe too much subject for my slow-simple start.....

Back