Old Moe's 75g

Old_Moe

Reefing newb
Wanted to ask some questions on my 75 gallon build.
Had a very busy weekend with the build.
55lbs of Live rock, 50 lbs of Dry Key Largo rock from Marco ( very cool stuff ), 80lbs of live sand
Sump is built ( had a tricky time with the silicone on the baffles, but it came out good )
Sump left to Right ( Drain/Skimmer , Return , empty now but maybe Future Cheato? )
Went with the Octopus XP 1000sss skimmer

Question for the group
What is slower than watching paint dry? … answer… watching my RODI make water. Took a full 24 hours to make all the water I needed… but its done.:D

Have a question on Lighting for the ( tank is 75g / 48” wide )
I am looking at the
AquaticLife 48" T5 HO 6 Lamp Fixture w/ Lunar Lights (w/ Free Set of Replacement Bulbs)
http://www.marineandreef.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RAL01192&CartID=4

or
Marineland Marine Series Pro Metal Halide Fixture 2X150W HQI & 4X54W T5, 48 inch
http://www.marineandreef.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RML32982

or
any other suggestions???

Looking for a light that would allow me to do “anything” in the future, I would rather not buy another light.

Thank you!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7775_sm.jpg
    IMG_7775_sm.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_7785_sm.jpg
    IMG_7785_sm.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_7786_sm.jpg
    IMG_7786_sm.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 467
Thanks for the quick reply SarahSmile.

I read so much on many different boards, do you think the Metal Halides are necessary? ( do you think the 6 bulb will do just as good of a job? ) a lot of money for either system and I am trying not to have any regrets.

thanks!

Ah, there certainly is a ton to read on lights isn't there?? And so many different opinions. Metal Halides are not a necessity, some like the look of them more than the T-5 b/c of the shimmer they provide, they tend to get hot though. Something I did not like. So, I'd say a 6 bulb T-5 fixture should let you keep anything you want. But, again, it comes down to personal preference and lots o' opinions. Glad your build is still coming along nicely. :)

NanoReefer, I dont think I will be able to make it out to PA, I am in Northeast Jersey. Not that it is that far to PA, but I dont think I can swing it. thanks though.

SarahSmile, yes I am worried about the heat from the MH. I read your thread on the Marineland Reef Ready LEDs. do you still like them? would you recommend them over the 6 Lamp?

thanks.

Oh geez, well, I love my led set BUT, you say you want to be able to keep anything and I bought it knowing I will never get nems or SPS...I have a duncan coral and some zoas, palys, a mushroom, and they all are happy. So, I don't know that I'd recommend it to you as I would not want you to be limited. Now, check out beeguiles tank, she has the led set too and has been keeping some more difficult things successfully. I'd hate to steer ya wrong Moe and the 6 bulb t-5 is a proven winner.

hmm, hard to go against a proven winner. I might sleep on it tonight.

My tank is still cycling, so I dont think I need the lights just yet.

Im a fan of halides but the t5 setup will work. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. You can snag some cheap lights from different places so shop around before spending $$$$

btw sarah these are 3 watt leds where marineland uses i watt whites and .6 watt blues, the light i posted will let you keep anything you want, clams, nems etc...

Yes, very excited.... After 3 days I am starting to get ammonia readings :). Been zero for 3 days and it jumped to 1ppm tonight...

Who knew I would ever be excited about ammonia.

ordered the 6 Lamp aquaticlife light. ( I would love to go with LED's ), but after doing alot of reading, I am not sure LED's are the right fit for me at this time.

personally; I am not sure if LED's are there yet... jury is still out on lighting output/penetration/type of light(wattage/color/uv/etc...). Also, the units don't seem to have nice plug and play timers like the aquaticlife ( one timer does 3 lighting purposes with one plug )... George Foreman set-it and forget-it model.

I am sure I will upgrade to LED's at some point :D, but I want to wait until the product is a bit more mature in the market before I make the jump.

Thank you all for your input!!!

Looks like everything is going well. Here are my test results after a week. I have been testing once a day.

Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78
Ammonia: 2ppm ( had high of 4ppm )
Nitrate: 10ppm ( highest reading so far )
Nitrite: 5ppm ( highest reading so far )
High Range Ph: 8.2

I still have a couple of pounds of Key Largo marco rocks to add ( I keep playing with the aquascaping )

looking forward to the addition of the CUC.

thanks.

IMG_7836.jpg

Seeing as this is now a build thread, I am moving it to the Tank Showcase forum.

BTW, good choice on the lights. Aquatic life has one of the very best Customer Service departments I have ever dealt with.

Seeing as this is now a build thread, I am moving it to the Tank Showcase forum.

BTW, good choice on the lights. Aquatic life has one of the very best Customer Service departments I have ever dealt with.

Thanks, I wasnt sure where to put it.

Good to hear about Aquatic Life customer service.

Back