Omega's 120g Tank Upgrade

OmegaOmega

Reefing newb
So I did it... I was debating what/how/when to upgrade...

I bought the Oceanic Tech Tank/Reef Ready system; 90g Display with 30g sump/built-in refugium. I'm so excited I could pee (but not in the tank). What's odd is realizing that my sump is bigger than the BioCube that I'm upgrading from.

Item's received/purchased so far:
  • Oceanic Tech Tank & Stank - Stainless Steel version
  • ADHI M3 Sump System with T5 Refugium/Light
  • Mag 12 Return Pump
  • ASM G1x Skimmer
  • AquaTech ATO w/ 5g reserve
  • EcoPlus 300w Titanium heater
  • Arctica Chiller
  • ReefKeeper Elite w/ probe thingys
  • Pacific Sun LED or AI LED lights (ordered both, will see which one to keep)
    Marco's Rock dry base rock
Now next week I can add lionfish, stingrays and sharks! (oh my)

Now next week I can add lionfish, stingrays and sharks! (oh my)

That looks like it's going to be an awesome setup, but unfortunately a 90 is too small for the majority of these fish, and all stingrays and sharks. (I can't tell whether you were being serious or not, but I just thought I'd point it out ;)). The system may be 120 gallons total, but the tank is still just 90.

It was more my homage to the Wizard of Oz, Reef Style. Outside of that, I would not only be terrified at having anyone of those but am more interested in a coral setup with a few display fish and crustys'.

It was more my homage to the Wizard of Oz, Reef Style. Outside of that, I would not only be terrified at having anyone of those but am more interested in a coral setup with a few display fish and crustys'.

LOL okay, I am glad you were only kidding! I didn't want to be the one to crush your dreams, you know?

That looks like it's going to be an awesome setup.

OK - photos attached of the beginning setup...

Photo 1 - Front panel
Photo 2 - Sump area w/ ref
Photo 3 - Side view through (only front is starphire glass)
Photo 4 - Top view
Photo 5 - Full (kinda) view

As soon as I found my real digital cam, I'll take some better pics. iPhones are definitely not reef/tank compatible.

I live in a high-rise so in the morning my office (where the tank is) gets the most sunlight, it'll probably turn out better for pic taking then...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 440
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 522
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 427
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 475
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:
Thanks Biff, Adept & BL1; I'm pretty excited.

Bad news - the installers forgot to put teflon tape on the piping,connectors and T-links so when I filled it up and 'fired it up' last night it started leaking - bad. They're coming back out this morning to re-do it, so hopefully I'll be able to get it started soon.

I'm pretty excited about the baserock I received from an online site I found - and I'll have lots to transfer from my 30g as liverock.

Also - other fun note, my property management must have seen the delivery and left a note stating that I needed to provide evidence of liability renters coverage and a specific waterbed or tank rider - ugh. Although the more I think about it - the more I picture the thing toppling over during an earthquake.

Alight... installers came and fixed the leaks - added additional rings and gaskets and rethreaded the entire piping system (all ends) with new teflon tape... been running all morning and it's great! I even shook the tank a little to try and simulate an earthquake - holy tsunami... I didn't quite think the whole process through; I won't be doing that again.

So anyway - more pics!

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 439
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 420
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 451
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 442
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 523
God no joke - I have a Fluval G6 running full speed with brand new filters just to help...

To that point - anyone know if I should be running my skimmer while I wait for the clouds to settle? Or will the skimmer not have any effect on helping clear the clouds from the sand.

The skimmer won't help clear the cloudiness any faster.It can take a couple of days to clear but no biggy.

Congrats,The Oceanic Tech tanks are beautiful.

The skimmer won't help clear the cloudiness any faster.It can take a couple of days to clear but no biggy.

Congrats,The Oceanic Tech tanks are beautiful.

Thanks, reef!

I just found out they've completely discontinued them too :( longest running line... sad face...

Really,do you know why?

Not specifically. I spoke with the regional dealer my LFS goes through, which is who ordered the setup for me, and they said 'boss man said it was just time' but when I asked if it was being replaced by a new system he indicated he didn't know of anything.

I also noticed the Illuminata and Ultimate series were also pulled off their site now as well. I don't know if it has to do with them being purchased by CGP and if it was in competition with the already esablished Aqueon line. That said, however, the tech series had been around since 2006 and was one of their longest running lines...

Maybe they are going full custom tanks.I had spoke with a rep a couple of years ago about building a custom system.I've seen a few rimless tanks from Oceanic on another website,maybe that too.

Maybe they are going full custom tanks.I had spoke with a rep a couple of years ago about building a custom system.I've seen a few rimless tanks from Oceanic on another website,maybe that too.

Yeah, their rimless tanks, the Illuminata series (or formerly...) are fantastic - pre drilled, extra thick starphire glass - the 60g was ALMOST the system I got instead of the tech tank. It was in the store for $200 w/o stand... THIS close people... THIS close... Broke down and got the 90 because I wanted more flexibility with what I could keep...

Back