Omega's 120g Tank Upgrade

If it was live sand you don't need to rinse it out. If it is dry sand you need to. If you added live sand you may be in for a long wait for that to clear up. I rinsed my sand, put it in ziplock bags sank it down and emptied the bag, and then repeat the process for 45lb of sand.

If it was live sand you don't need to rinse it out. If it is dry sand you need to. If you added live sand you may be in for a long wait for that to clear up. I rinsed my sand, put it in ziplock bags sank it down and emptied the bag, and then repeat the process for 45lb of sand.

Ugh - exactly what I wanted to avoid. I did lower the bag into the tank and used a box cutter to do a cavity (H-type) opening of the bag... but as soon as I turned on the powerheads/pump - BAM - white as a cotton field, expected it to calm down in a couple hours but it's been a couple days and nothing... :(

So the question: will it eventually settle or is it something bad.

I would think it will settle... I hope! Your LFS should have the water polishing pads, its just a finer filter floss pretty much. Even petco and petsmart carry it.

Ugh, I really hope it will and that I don't need to replace the water. I paid $200 for that ocean fresh goodness!

Now I'm stressed. I hope I don't get ich.

I would think it will settle... I hope! Your LFS should have the water polishing pads, its just a finer filter floss pretty much. Even petco and petsmart carry it.

I spent 45 minutes at Petco before they kicked me out - they said stores don't really carry that, I'd need to go to a specialty store (local LFS) or order online... Argh - they were useless. When I said I needed filter floss he almost referred me to the canine tooth health isle.

:grumble:

I spent 45 minutes at Petco before they kicked me out - they said stores don't really carry that, I'd need to go to a specialty store (local LFS) or order online... Argh - they were useless. When I said I needed filter floss he almost referred me to the canine tooth health isle.

:grumble:
Well at least now you know this.
It will settle,don't make the mistake of turning things off though(PH's, filter)I basically did the same as you when i started ,i remember looking at a dust cloud for almost a week,paitence,trust me ,it will clear. Nice upgrade BTW

Thanks OhNo - a week? Say it isn't so :ugh:

Maybe I'll add another layer of filter floss to the sump... Not to mention my filter sock is now CAKED in silt. I'm so angrified at the LFS. Pre-rinsed my ass, they probably threw a pound of flour mix in their just to spruce things up.

lol...like i said i've been there.And yes,rinse all your media,i believe i was doing it twice a day..Leave everything running or it will settle in an unnatural way,once you turn all your stuff back on ,boom,dust storm again.I have seen this mistake alot.Just ride it out,there is light at the end of the tank..lol:mrgreen:

Alright - update and some (hopefully) better pics I took with my SLR instead of iPhone...

4570998533_219d6d81b6_b.jpg
4570999313_d71a514422_b.jpg
4571635750_1db4c5baa7_b.jpg
4571637658_7827f8d92f_b.jpg

You can see the silt settling on everything - including the pump.

Alright - finally got the water clear (over a week later) and also received my items from the BRS group buy.

Question: How do you cut egg-crate? What tool do you use?

BTW - has anyone else used the 'Reef Chili Coral Nutrition'? I just got mine in my BRS shipment...

Sweet mother of pearl - that shit actually works! I did a spot feeding on the brain, green star and some other coral I have and the brain nearly exploded. Tentacles came out, almost instantly, and it ballooned to the size of Kentucky... Even my shrimp chased after the spot feeding tip and was eating it.

Someone else may have a better way to do it but, yea when I cut one for the bottom of my tank and for my sump, that's how I did it. It actually doesn't take all that long but, it will make a mess

Someone else may have a better way to do it but, yea when I cut one for the bottom of my tank and for my sump, that's how I did it. It actually doesn't take all that long but, it will make a mess

Just tried it and you're right, it was a lot easier than I thought. In fact I went at it from both sides and was able to just snap it where I wanted pretty evenly.

Thanks!

Back