Omg! Omg! Omg!!!!

wonderful. :( but ive never even seen it! haha that might also explain the disappearance of my peppermint shrimp.. who i replaced today :) also added 5 astreas and a colony of daisies :)

Hey yote, isn't there a difference in the click pattern between mantis and pistol? I thought the pistols click once, but the mantis can have several clicks in quick succession. Or is it the other way around?

oh i love the things but only if i had a separate tank haha... ive never ever seen a trace of one in my tank but i have been hearing the clicking lately.. :(

Ya, they hide in the rock.... deep down in the nooks and crannies.
The farther down they can go the longer they can survive because it stays wet.

If it's in the ocean there's a chance of getting it as a hitchhiker. People have gotten everything from mantis and pistol shrimps, snails, urchins, and starfish to fish and octos

ive seen emon display at my lfs in 1-3 gallons.... they usually have the same one for a few months so its not even just a temp tank.. id assume theyd do fine in something small though,

It really depends on the type, some only get to be about 1-2 in. But others get as big as 6-12 in

I was referring to the peacock ones i didn't know if you could keep the big ones. The peacock mantis which is my favorite for the colours seems to do well insmall ones :)

Hey yote, isn't there a difference in the click pattern between mantis and pistol? I thought the pistols click once, but the mantis can have several clicks in quick succession. Or is it the other way around?

Your thinking right Dennis.Mantis can hit 3 to 4 times a second if they need to.A pistol will usually just get a couple of clicks in a minute.
The sound is a tad bit different to.Where a mantis has more of click,a pistol will sound more like a pop.

So I'm very new...but whats the problem with having it in your tank? Will it eat your fish and stuff? Kinda cool looking I think!

I cleaned my skimmer out this evening along with some of the area around it and found several brittle stars that had managed to escape the Picasso Trigger, but I also thing I found three of these little mantis shrimp. They were very small but looked like the one in the pic. I decided to err on the side of caution and left them in the dirty water I tossed. I was able to save about 5 brittle stars though!

I cleaned my skimmer out this evening along with some of the area around it and found several brittle stars that had managed to escape the Picasso Trigger, but I also thing I found three of these little mantis shrimp. They were very small but looked like the one in the pic. I decided to err on the side of caution and left them in the dirty water I tossed. I was able to save about 5 brittle stars though!

They all passed thru the skimmer pump? And lived in the poop water?

Back